Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

6 sets of different drivers, what do I make these into?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 07:12 AM   #1
makanar44 is offline makanar44  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 6 sets of different drivers, what do I make these into?

I already own 6 sets of various woofers, midranges, tweeters. I would like to assemble some of these drivers into a 3 or 4 way, preferably with an active crossover. The bottom driver will for sure be the two shiva x2-12 subwoofers I already own. Here are links to drivers I currently already possess.

12 inch subs Diycablepdf/ShivaX2.pdf
(for zaphaudio links you will have to click the link of the speaker name for response charts and harmonic distortion graphs)
8 inch Usher 8137A http://zaphaudio.com/8test/compare.html

6 inch Rs180 http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/compare.html

3 inch Fountek FR89, I have two pairs Fountek FR89EX 3" Full Range - 8 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

2 inch dayton RS52 http://zaphaudio.com/smalltest/compare.html

1 inch SB Acoustics SB29RDC http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/compare.html

Also 70$ store credit at madisound.com for anything

I already possess 4 2 channel amps of 75w, 30-50w, 35w, and 10w per channel output RMS. I am interested in an active crossver as I already have at least 2 amplfiers of adequate output, with the other two only limited by some noise issues.
I am however open to a passive crossover though I have never made one myself and slopes greater then 12db\octave may be to complex for me to design, as I understand there are interactions with multiple inductors and other complications.

Possible active crossovers:
24 db slopes, 2 way stereo with mono sub out $90 Behringer CX2310 Super-X Pro Crossover 2-Way/3-Way 248-664

this one has delay function on the low band, and two could be purchased for a 4 way stereo setup. It is more however, 140$. Behringer CX3400 Super-X Pro Crossover 3-Way/4-Way 248-668

I am thinking for price\performance ratio a 3 way with the cheaper active crossover will suffice until have more money, and can turn this setup into a home theater\desktop setup. With 24 db slopes and my analyzing of the responses and distortion graphs, I am thinking the SB29RDC's crossed over at 1600-2k with the RS180's, crossed over at whatever sounds best for the subs, likely 80-100 hz.
If anyone has any knowledge, experience or advice they can share about possible setups with these drivers, I would be very appreciative.

I want to spend less then a couple hundred dollars so that I can still have money for a much beefier sub amp. I am going to construct the speaker boxes myself so they can be properly braced, particularly the subs. However I do not own a router and would like to flush mount the drivers and possibly roundover the edges of the box, so some router buying help might be nice to, in terms of how good of one i need for 1" MDF

Last edited by makanar44; 29th February 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
active x-o multi-amping more or less requires that all of the amplifiers in the bunch have the same gain structure. You might want to look into this and see if your current bunch of amplifiers will mate up well or not. You don't want to turn up the volume and have some of your frequency range increase by 6dB, while another frequency range only increases by 3dB.

I'd use the Ushers, the RS52s, and the SBs in a 3-way.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
natehansen66 is offline natehansen66  United States
diyAudio Member

Those Behringer units aren't really suitable for hifi in my experience. Noisy and veeeerrry limited abilities. For about the same $$$ you can get 2 2x4 miniDSPs and get infinitely more adjustability and sound quality.......
Old 29th February 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
lduarte1973 is offline lduarte1973  Portugal
Banned

or one 2x8 / 8x8 minidsp

I'd use the Ushers, the RS52s, and the SBs in a 3-way.

+1

Last edited by lduarte1973; 29th February 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd use the Ushers, FR89, and a different tweeter. I don't care for the RS52, and the SB29 is awfully robust to be using in a 3-way.

The RS180 and SB29 would mate very well together.

Later,
Wolf
Old 29th February 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
I'd use the Ushers, FR89, and a different tweeter.
With the FR89 a tweeter is not really a necessity, anything you'd gain would likely be countered by what you loose with the XO.

2 of the RS180 + the FR89 could be used to do a proper MTM in the same vein as this EL166/FF85 build.

dave
Old 29th February 2012, 09:53 PM   #7
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
With the FR89 a tweeter is not really a necessity, anything you'd gain would likely be countered by what you loose with the XO.

2 of the RS180 + the FR89 could be used to do a proper MTM in the same vein as this EL166/FF85 build.

dave
True- he wouldn't HAVE to use a tweeter, but off-axis will still suffer without it, and you really don't lose much with a xover. I'm not of the belief that you do.

But- with what he has, I would favor the FR89 as a mid over the RS52.

Later,
Wolf
Old 29th February 2012, 10:12 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
True- he wouldn't HAVE to use a tweeter, but off-axis will still suffer without it, and you really don't lose much with a xover.
We'll have to disagree on that. Any XO in the critical band is a problem.

And as to the dispesion, the good small FRs are not that far behind the typical 25-28mm domes and have the advantage of a directivity index that more closely approaches a straight line.

Cross-over at 300-400 hz you get most if the seemlessness of a FR, with the robust bottom of dedicated woofers. And it minimizes most of the evil* inherent in XOs.

*i love quoting Geddes on that one

dave
Old 1st March 2012, 05:47 AM   #9
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Any XO in the critical band is a problem.
The large number of successful implementations with 1 or more x-overs in the "critical" range seem to disagree with your blanket statement.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:09 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You may call them successful, but i haven't heard many that are REALLY good -- they tend to be missing something, something i have grown quite fond of (and i've heard a lot, including many of my own)

dave

6 sets of different drivers, what do I make these into?Hide this!Advertise here!