Partially faulty bass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keesonic Kubs

1 works fine - the other sounds like it has no bass

Tried swapping cables and amps - same result

Drivers out and both measure 6.9 Ohms, foam surround appears in good order

The faulty driver does produce sound but in the mid region and the movement of the driver is much less compared to the good driver

Applied cable direct from amp to bass driver - sound but still no bass

Pic of connection and crossover

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any suggestions?

It is possible the back plate glue failed, causing the pole piece to pinch the voice coil in the gap.

I just fixed a speaker that happened to, used a C clamp to re-position the back plate until the cone was free (took about 6 tries to find the right angle) then used JB Weld epoxy to re- glue the back plate to the magnet.

Speaker went from only playing 1K up to working normally.
Good luck!

Do both speakers.

Put the magnet side down on a counter. Push the cone in with your fingers spread apart right where the dust cap meets the cone . Then reach around to the backside of the cone and with fingers spread to disperse the force, push the cone upward. Not too hard, pretend that it's about 10 watts of power. Tell us what you hear and feel.

It most likely is the voice coil is stuck and cannot move. That is what Cal is asking you to test. Both cones should move freely when pushed. Of course if you push too hard or in the wrong place you dent the cone or dust cap.

The second but less likely cause is the voice coil has detached from the cone and form. Check your amplifiers to be sure there is no DC out.

With regards to the basket - it's straight

I took the pic at wide angle (macro) and there is a bit of barrel distortion
Then the problem is as described in #3 or as Sreten said the coil has delaminated due to excess heat and jammed in the gap.

The problem as described in #3 can be fixed without taking the speaker apart, a messed up voice coil requires a recone, generally all the moving parts of the speaker.

The back plate only has to move a fraction of a milimeter for the pole piece to pinch the coil, examining with a magnifiying glass may be needed to determine if that is the case.

It only distorted that one element in the picture ... nothing immediately adjacent to it? I can see the fuzzy corrosion between the bend and the outer frame .. matches the fuzz all over the basket .... is that a photo anomaly as well?

When you say distorted are you referring to the foam gasket ? - (just to the right of black metal outer)

No the corrosion is crystalline and brushes off

When you say distorted are you referring to the foam gasket ? - (just to the right of black metal outer)

No the corrosion is crystalline and brushes off
No, the chrome basket. Everything else around that appears "straight". You can see the corrosion crystals between the bent basket and the outer (black) gasket? frame? .. whatever that is. How could one see that (crystalline corrosion) in between there if the basket wasn't bent out of the way enough to see it?

(shrug) According to your pic's .. it looks to me like that chrome basket is bent. That will tweak the cone enough to screw up the voice coil tolerances. That's why the cone is stuck. VC is trapped.

This is the part my eyes can't quite sort out. It looks like it was dropped or something.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.38.47 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.38.47 PM.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.