Smallish IB setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may seem unusual but, I have a room that is primarily for receiving guests and chit-chat, not serious music or movie watching and I'd like to provide some low to moderate level music. My wife wants an unobtrusive system so I'm going to build some small full-range cubes and mount them in the corners near the ceiling. I'd like to have a little low end too, but without the box in the room. So, I have some (4) high quality 8" woofers I'd like to put in an IB in the attic above this room. Since I'm not going for high output levels will the small diameter of the drivers create any serious problems? The transition box will be a 12" cube.

The only "problem" is that they will be limited in output and extension, just as they would in practically any other alignment/enclosure type. Since you're not expecting Earth-shattering bass, you will probably be very pleased with the result. Just don't overdrive them... since there is no acoustic suspension to help control cone motion they might bottom out at highish power levels.

Sounds like a good plan, and high on WAF. Enjoy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.