What is the difference between CAR & Home HiFi speaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2003, 11:48 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: What is the difference between CAR & Home HiFi speaker

Quote:
Originally posted by seangoesbonk
p.s. I live in Canada.
-20 degrees C = -5 degrees F
+40 degrees C = 104 degrees F
In warmer climates like here in Oz (it is summertime right now) we get many mid 30's and the occasional low 40's deg C. Central Australia is often 45 deg C or so. That translates to a temperature in a closed car of ~70 deg C +. Lame-brained people have sometimes left their young children or pets in the car while they go into the shops and wonder why they are dead or nearly so when they return! For speakers in the back parcel shelf in the direct sun I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 80 deg C under those conditions. I'm not exaggerating.
Old 12th January 2003, 12:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to onebadziggy
Car Audio manufacturers usually put a large emphasis on cosmetics over anything. You have to purchase more expensive units to get anyting that has quality.

Some brands that come to mind are Focal, CDT, Image Dynamics, and Adire Audio.

They all have really good products, for a good price however. I would much rather put home drivers in my car than many of the car speakers available.
Old 12th January 2003, 01:15 PM   #13
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: What is the difference between CAR & Home HiFi speaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Circlotron

In warmer climates like here in Oz (it is summertime right now) we get many mid 30's and the occasional low 40's deg C. Central Australia is often 45 deg C or so. That translates to a temperature in a closed car of ~70 deg C +. Lame-brained people have sometimes left their young children or pets in the car while they go into the shops and wonder why they are dead or nearly so when they return! For speakers in the back parcel shelf in the direct sun I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 80 deg C under those conditions. I'm not exaggerating.
It will be 37 degrees in sunny melbourne today, its good living near the beach though, so i think ill live.

Its too often that we see on the news a story of a parent leaving there young child in the car while they play the pokies....

As for car audio, there is alot of crap out there, but there are some quality components out there. Are they suitable for home use? Well a good way to find out is to hit your local car audio dealer, because they will have all of there speakers in a wall in their showroom, not in car.
Old 12th January 2003, 05:19 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by R. McAnally
one-way full range car speakers are regarded in the car audio world as the cheapest, worst sounding hunks of junk (which I also think they are).
Not so...

If you ever run across a pair of Delco 4 ohm (the 10 ohm aren't too bad either) tan colored 6x9" with whizzer cone, these are a wonderful full range.

The last pair i got for $2 at a garage sale, and i was walking to the car thinking, this guy probably spent a couple hundred bucks to replace them with not-as-good triaxials

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!