Replacing damage tweeters of the Infinity IL60, need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just acquired this pair of Infinity Interlude IL60 with tweeter on both speakers damaged. I bought and installed a pair of Dayton RS28F-4 tweeter to replace the original tweeter. However, the problem is that the tweeter level is kinda low compares to the mid-range and the woofer. Is there any way I can boost up the tweeter level? I read somewhere on this site that adding large capacitor will increase response at tweeter low end.

I think I made a few mistake by choosing the Dayton RS28F tweeter. First of all, the frequency response of the IL60 is 28hz-22khz, however, the Dayton RS28F tweeter frequency response only go up to 20khz. Secondly, the Sensitivity (dB) of the IL60 is 89dB, but the Dayton tweeter SPL is 88dB. Could that 1dB smaller makes the difference? Can I still add a cap to in increase response of tweeter at low end to increase it by 1dB or maybe 2dB?

You can make this work. Look at the crossover. There should be a white elongated thing there, a resistor. Try putting a wire from end to end of it. Look at the value of the resistor while you do the wire thing. If there are two resistors, put the wire over the resistor with the smaller value. Test play at very low volume. If there is no sound from the tweeter, abort testing.

I have played it for more than 40hrs by now. The speaker is rated 8ohm but the original tweeter is 4ohm so I replaced with the Dayton tweeter which is also 4ohm.
That's good. Back to what strawberry said.:)
Yes higher sensitivity level would give more output. Look also at constant curve output, or sound quality (similar to original when possible).

Last edited:
You can make this work. Look at the crossover. There should be a white elongated thing there, a resistor. Try putting a wire from end to end of it. Look at the value of the resistor while you do the wire thing. If there are two resistors, put the wire over the resistor with the smaller value. Test play at very low volume. If there is no sound from the tweeter, abort testing.

This works for me. I open the crossover and found 2 resistors, one is 3.3ohm and one is 1.8ohm. I bypassed the 1.8ohm resistor since it's the lower one. The tweeter volume is definitely louder. I think the sound is good right now. I'll let it play for a while. If the tweeter gets louder I can always replace the 1.8ohm resistor with a lower one but for now I think I'm happy with it. Thanks.

If you don't feel like analyzing the crossover for even better sound but just want to wing the resistor load, your next step should be to buy two 2 ohm resistors if you want less volume from the tweeter. Let those 2 ohm resistors replace the wires you attached. 1.8 ohm and 2 ohm in parallel will be about 1 ohm, a common load. If you take picture of your crossover and upload it it would help solve your problem.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the crossover before bypassing. The resister I bypassed is the one on the upper right hand corner. For now the volume of the tweeter is about right.

Attachments

• crossoverIL60.jpg
    crossoverIL60.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 38
I am sure the resistor on the right is for the tweeter when looking from the back of the board, but forgot to look at the other resistor but I'm also assuming that it attenuating the mid driver. I'm happy with it for now. When I have time I'll try to bypass the capacitors you mentioned. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.