My Pluto clones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Thomas,

No, I never got round to painting but instead just keyed the surface did have the idea of using a vinyl wrap of some sorts.

I will be upgrading to LXMini soon so might experiment on the plurals I.e vinyl wrapping.

Hey Rich,

I own a set of Summas and I've been experimenting with some LX Mini type speakers. (Not a clone, more like "inspired by.")

I have a question for you:

I noticed you have a set of dipole speakers that use waveguides. Which speakers do you prefer?

The reason that I ask is that I like the sound of my "LX Mini-ish" speakers, but after getting accustomed to my Summas, the lack of dynamics in the LX type speakers is quite a letdown.

In fact I think I may have blown up one of the drivers in just a single week of listening.

The Dipole with waveguide speakers I built are a copy of Gainphiles S16 speaker which he was kind enough to send me the MiniDSP .xml file for.

I am still in the process of building the LXMini and have thrown together some NaO Note I I RS speakers also.

The Plutos have been in my living room for the last couple of years as anything bigger would just dominate our living room.

The first time I listened to the Plutos was an eye opening experience but always found the fell short for vocals/dialogue.

The S16 just seemed to have much more resolution and dynamics which I really miss.

The NaO notes are a definite improvement on the Plutos but I still find they fall short compared with the compression driver/waveguide used in the S16.

The S16 was a speaker I would build again.

You did mean this speaker?

imagejpg1-3.jpg

I think it is more down to personal preference really although if I had the space then the NaO would be my speaker of choice for music listening over the Pluto, for HT a speaker with a compression driver/waveguide would be my preferred choice.

The Gainphile S16 seemed like a good compromise and I would happily live with this speaker, with a second woofer per channel however.

Although curiosity always gets the better of me and I have to keep a new project on the go, LXMini now and then an Econowave Mini.

Last edited:
I built the NaO Note II RS over the summer and I really love them. I have them in my main listening area/living room and they fill up the space with sound very well. We watch movies with 2-channel and sub and because of the dipole behavior, the sound field is very immersive.

Once you make the investment of building these speakers and getting everything else set up and equipped, like the matching 6+2 channels of amplification, the active crossover dialed in correctly, most likely a decent sub to compliment such a great pair of speakers, a sub amp, and figuring out some creative way to manage all of the wires and cables--while it is in our DNA to daydream about what speaker could be built next, you'll find it easier to justify why these should stay put for quite some time. Not only that, every time you fire them up, you'll be reminded why that decision keeps making sense. Just my two cents.

I think it is more down to personal preference really although if I had the space then the NaO would be my speaker of choice for music listening over the Pluto, for HT a speaker with a compression driver/waveguide would be my preferred choice.

The Gainphile S16 seemed like a good compromise and I would happily live with this speaker, with a second woofer per channel however.

Although curiosity always gets the better of me and I have to keep a new project on the go, LXMini now and then an Econowave Mini.

I can understand your statement as they are a very good speaker, unfortunatly I do not have the space for them yet but built them anyway.

I still prefer a compresion driver for dialouge though.

Here are my unfinsihed NaO Note II RS speakers built using the CNC baffles I had made.
naobul01.jpg

naobul02.jpg

Sorry, I'm a bit slow today. rich31td--yes of course, you shipped me a pair of those baffles to build my set. The project turned out wonderful! Thanks again.

I can understand your statement as they are a very good speaker, unfortunatly I do not have the space for them yet but built them anyway.

I still prefer a compresion driver for dialouge though.

Here are my unfinsihed NaO Note II RS speakers built using the CNC baffles I had made.
naobul01.jpg

naobul02.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.