Mad as a hatter - 1200/60 Hz paper horn speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having just built a better qaulity 1.5 watt set amp , I am thinking of a better front horns for my speakers. I have DE-250 ( 1 " drivers @ 1200 hz ) and Altec 414's
( 12" 30 hz Cone drivers). As you can see my wood working skills need improving but is a 600 hz and 60 Hz tractrix horn set up and they sound good. However they are bit too low and need to a few inches higher off the
floor.
I got thinking here, since I am using a cone speaker for bass can one not assume the flat wave front for bass horn and rather adjust a horn mouth directly for the curved wave form coming from the speaker. This really does not permit computer modeling, but more a play it ear design. Also since a Tactrix horn is good to about 80%? of the mouth can I tack on LeCleach expansion from that point on? I am hopeing to keep the depth of the bass horn about same ( 22" / 57 cm ) but have full curved front. Any thoughts are welcome, but as for modeling parameters, it is case of what fits in the corner rather than a exact computer design.
Now that March is coming up, here is Mad as hatter design idea, that assume with lower power ( a few good tube watts ) other factors can now be calculated for less air pressure and may permit a different expansion setup. Paper horns both bass and midrange should be possible with the lower power. If not,Paper and duct tape horns. -:)
Ben.

Attachments

• HALF.JPG
    HALF.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 229
Your bass horn has very narrow dispersion, the veiwing angle in your photo would be about the 6 dB down point in the upper crossover region.
Raising the horn to ear level and using expansion wings out to the room sidewalls would increase the low end response and reduce diffraction problems.
Using a smaller throat would increase dispersion, sound more natural, and increase sensitivity.

Cardboard and duct tape can save a lot of money for testing out different ideas at low volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.