Cheap "Measurement" microphone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is first of all for use in a classroom to measure sound from various sources (plucked strings, pipes, drums) into a laptop.

I'd also like to use it to measure a reasonably accurate frequency response.

I know there are very accurate and very expensive phantom power mics out there, but that's not what I need or want to pay for. I'm basically looking for a mic which can record audio at a wide variety of frequencies-not just speech/dictation. Then, if some more money will buy me better accuracy, I'll consider that.

Like those old Panasonic capsule mics they used to discuss in Speaker Builder magazine, maybe. But I don't have time to build something, and it must plug in to a laptop mic input.

Danke Schoen

I looked around for a cheap mic for a little while, but eventually came to the conclusion that if I wanted it cheap and good enough for measurement I'd have to build one.

I built this one: <B>How to Build a Condensor Microphone... a Do it Yourself project.</B>

Apart from the mic capsule I think all the other stuff can be had from radio shack. It only took a little bit to wire it up. I plug it straight into my laptop and can record stuff, but I've got a somewhat dodgy laptop sound card (not quite full duplex capable) so I haven't actually produced good measurements with it yet. I'll get there eventually...

If you really don't want to touch a soldering iron I'd look around for a cheap USB mic. I don't know if that'll get you where you want to go.

I didn't define "cheap" because to me "cheap" is relative depending on value. Something that will just take in sound might only be worth $5 but something I could actually measure speakers well enough to design crossover might be worth $100.

I have too much else on my mind to make a project, but in the summertime I might, so kit stuff might be OK...

I have a cheap omnidirectional condenser microphone which I use to use for drum overheads, I am at work typing this so I don't have the brand/model handy. Would that kind of thing be good enough to roughly analyze speaker boxes I build? In particular to help me with port tuning, and stuffing changes, which seem to be an inexact science that requires before and after measurements.

I am also quite happy to build DIY a microphone if someone can point me to the right insert to use.

Here you go. It's designed for smart phones, but works just as well from a PC without need of a preamp.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android

This is first of all for use in a classroom to measure sound from various sources (plucked strings, pipes, drums) into a laptop.

I'd also like to use it to measure a reasonably accurate frequency response.

I know there are very accurate and very expensive phantom power mics out there, but that's not what I need or want to pay for. I'm basically looking for a mic which can record audio at a wide variety of frequencies-not just speech/dictation. Then, if some more money will buy me better accuracy, I'll consider that.

Like those old Panasonic capsule mics they used to discuss in Speaker Builder magazine, maybe. But I don't have time to build something, and it must plug in to a laptop mic input.

Danke Schoen

The Dayton imm-6's are nice little pieces, I have one. I use it with my iphone running Audio Tools from Studio Six (I had a JL Audio branded free RTA application, but I discarded it as it was giving odd results). The Dayton USB mic is nice also (for more $$$), I use one of those on my computer for REW.

If you're looking for a cheap way to make acoustic measurements, I'd say the IMM-6 is a no-brainer. I wouldn't expect the type of smartphone to have much impact on the quality of measurement, but don't have any experience to back that up.

Do budget for a worthwhile app to use with it, the PE page lists one for iphone and another for android. Still very economical.

I haven't tried the IMM-6 on a computer. I think the smartphone user interface is generally pretty limited. For anything more than casual measurements I'd use computer software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.