after much thought - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2002, 04:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shallenn
as far as cutting you a pair, let me talk to my cabinet man. then we'll talk im starting to gather that the ariels are not going to sound "bad" on my solid state yamaha. would it be safe to say that they will still sound much better than my sony's?
shallenn
Old 28th January 2002, 04:53 AM   #12
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
If you got (God forbid!!) Solen caps for now, you could, upgrade them as you can afford to. A lot better than wasting money on questionable tweaks! Start with the tweeter caps.
Since you built it you can easily upgrade it!
Mark
I have generally found Solen film caps to be of reasonably high regard with the people of this forum so i find this comment a little odd.... sure there are better caps but i'm not sure that these are so shaby.....
Old 28th January 2002, 07:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just spent something like $50 on a pair of Solen caps for my tweets (they are like coke cans) so I hope they aren't shabby .. I notice quite an improvement in the highs with respect to the electrolytics I was using previously.
Old 28th January 2002, 03:13 PM   #14
CHRIS8 is offline CHRIS8  United States
Account Disabled

IMO, the metallized film types(Solen) are ideal, even for 'hi-fi' applications when used in parallel applications. However, I do try to only use fim/foil types in the direct signal path to the drivers, especially the tweeter. If you can't afford film/foil cap for the caps inline with drivers, just add a bypass film/foil cap of 0.1-0.01 uf value in parallel with the metallized film capacitors. I find that all film/foil types sound pretty much the same, however many prefer one specific brand. If using for a bypass cap, just purchase the economical housebrand of film/foil caps from partsexpress.com.

-Chris
Old 29th January 2002, 12:11 AM   #15
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well... Shallenn wasn't getting much response so I thought I'd help him as much as I could to my limited abilities.

To my credit, I got things stirred up!!!
From my correspondance with Lynn Olsen, creator of the Ariel,
I am aware that he thinks only film/foil caps are appropriate
for the quality of the Ariel. Also huge inductors

Of course no one else knew this so my comment about Solen caps
was misinterpreted. I should have used a bunch of emoticons to show I was being facetious. So here are some now:

I never said that Solen caps were shaby or even shabby!

I fact I thought I was implying that he should go with the Solens
for now, and upgrade the tweeter to film/foil as he could afford it.

Yes, I think the Ariels will sound better than the Sonys-by a lot.
No I have never heard them.

re. the cabinets: Aloha Audio sells pre-cut cabinet kits for the
speaker for I think about $900. Your cabinet maker may or may not be cheaper! I thought you were cutting them yourself in your garage. The amount of work cutting 4 instead of two cabinets is minimal. so maybe that is a way to save money. Most of the work is thinking and setting up the saw for the cuts.

MArk
Old 29th January 2002, 12:34 AM   #16
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

film and foil caps are better but cost a mint and the air core inductors do to ... i'd worry about paying for the inductors before worrying about changing from film caps to film and foil.
Old 29th January 2002, 12:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shallenn
well, i may cut the boxes myself but i may be able to swing a deal with a cabinet shop that i put a alarm in. he has already offered specialty woods for other hobbies of mine. a free alarm in his house might be apealing to him! lets hope so! i'm willing to cut my own but this be much slower! like i say, i was just scared that the ariel's would not be a good choice for my set up. but it seems that it would be fine.
shallenn

Hide this!Advertise here!