Dual voice coil wiring question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2003, 02:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual voice coil wiring question

Is there anyway to get two dual 4 ohm voice coil speakers, bridged mono together, to a 2 ohm load? As far as I know, the only loads you can give it are a 1 ohm, 4 ohm, or 16 ohm. It would just be helpful to get a 2 ohm load on my amplifier for more power. My amplifier can safely handle a 2 ohm mono load, so I would like to get the maximum power out of it. Please inform me of any tricks you might know to make this possible. Thanks
Old 23rd September 2003, 02:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

wire the voice coils in parallel and you will acheive 2 ohms and in series 8 ohms
Old 23rd September 2003, 03:01 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do you have to use both voicecoils?
Old 23rd September 2003, 03:26 PM   #4

Default Re: Dual voice coil wiring question

Quote:
Originally posted by bigshooter13
My amplifier can safely handle a 2 ohm mono load, so I would like to get the maximum power out of it. Please inform me of any tricks you might know to make this possible. Thanks
What amplifier do you have? It's unusual to find an amp that can supply enough current for a 2ohm load, particularly in bridged mode.

If the amp is stereo, you might consider running one speaker on each channel with the voicecoils in parallel (2ohm for each speaker). Then feed the mono signal to both channels of the amp. This way, if the amp is truely a high current amp, you'll be getting the most power available out of the amp.
Old 23rd September 2003, 05:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have to use both voicecoils?
No.
Old 23rd September 2003, 05:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

dhaen - Do you have to use both voicecoils?
Yes, you can damage a speaker if you only power one voice coil.

roddyama - It is a mono subwoofer amplifier. It is capable of 1000 watts peak. It is not a DIY amplifier, it is a purchased retail.

I need both speakers hooked up to a mono channel with a 2 ohm load. I don't think it is possible to hook this up since they are DVC.
Old 23rd September 2003, 06:21 PM   #7

Well it looks as if you'll be stuck with a 4ohm total load. It's really not that bad as you'll only lose about 3db of volume. Your amp will also thank you.
Old 23rd September 2003, 06:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'll admit I've haven't used that many DVC drivers but of the one's that I have used you can power a single VC without damaging them. If there are drivers in which you can damage them this way I'd like to know for my own edification or so if somebody asks I know I being accurate.
Old 23rd September 2003, 07:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Drew
Default Dual Voice Coil Wiring Question

You do have to hookup both voice coils on the speaker - you will damage the speaker if the both coils are not hooked up. If you only hookup one VC, then your only using half the potential of that speaker as well.
Old 23rd September 2003, 07:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be a stickler on this point but I'm getting conflicting answers. This is a direct quote from Adire Audio's White Paper on the Tempest DVC subwoofer.

"After asking about the T/S parameters, the next most common question is "why dual voice coils?" Most high-end subwoofers have a single voice coil; so why dual?

Simply put, dual voice coils dramatically increase the flexibility of the driver. Most obviously, the total impedance of the driver can be changed. As each voice coil is nominally 8 ohms, one can run a single voice coil and have a nominal 8 ohm woofer. But wiring the voice coils in parallel will yield a nominal 4 ohm woofer. And wiring the voice coils in series will yield a nominal 16 ohm woofer. All in all, these configurations allow easy use in low-voltage applications (4 ohm woofer, for use in apps such as car audio), or multiple driver systems (16 ohm drivers allow one to parallel 2 to 4 drivers in a single system, and still maintain an acceptable impedance without series connecting any drivers). "

Furthermore, Adire's published measurements for the Tempest are all taken using only one voice coil. I've wired up DVC drivers both single and dual and have not suffered any damage.

Hide this!Advertise here!