Dual voice coil wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there anyway to get two dual 4 ohm voice coil speakers, bridged mono together, to a 2 ohm load? As far as I know, the only loads you can give it are a 1 ohm, 4 ohm, or 16 ohm. It would just be helpful to get a 2 ohm load on my amplifier for more power. My amplifier can safely handle a 2 ohm mono load, so I would like to get the maximum power out of it. Please inform me of any tricks you might know to make this possible. Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
bigshooter13 said:
My amplifier can safely handle a 2 ohm mono load, so I would like to get the maximum power out of it. Please inform me of any tricks you might know to make this possible. Thanks
What amplifier do you have? It's unusual to find an amp that can supply enough current for a 2ohm load, particularly in bridged mode.

If the amp is stereo, you might consider running one speaker on each channel with the voicecoils in parallel (2ohm for each speaker). Then feed the mono signal to both channels of the amp. This way, if the amp is truely a high current amp, you'll be getting the most power available out of the amp.

dhaen - Do you have to use both voicecoils?
Yes, you can damage a speaker if you only power one voice coil.

roddyama - It is a mono subwoofer amplifier. It is capable of 1000 watts peak. It is not a DIY amplifier, it is a purchased retail.

I need both speakers hooked up to a mono channel with a 2 ohm load. I don't think it is possible to hook this up since they are DVC.

Ok, I'll admit I've haven't used that many DVC drivers but of the one's that I have used you can power a single VC without damaging them. If there are drivers in which you can damage them this way I'd like to know for my own edification or so if somebody asks I know I being accurate.

Sorry to be a stickler on this point but I'm getting conflicting answers. This is a direct quote from Adire Audio's White Paper on the Tempest DVC subwoofer.

"After asking about the T/S parameters, the next most common question is "why dual voice coils?" Most high-end subwoofers have a single voice coil; so why dual?

Simply put, dual voice coils dramatically increase the flexibility of the driver. Most obviously, the total impedance of the driver can be changed. As each voice coil is nominally 8 ohms, one can run a single voice coil and have a nominal 8 ohm woofer. But wiring the voice coils in parallel will yield a nominal 4 ohm woofer. And wiring the voice coils in series will yield a nominal 16 ohm woofer. All in all, these configurations allow easy use in low-voltage applications (4 ohm woofer, for use in apps such as car audio), or multiple driver systems (16 ohm drivers allow one to parallel 2 to 4 drivers in a single system, and still maintain an acceptable impedance without series connecting any drivers). "

Furthermore, Adire's published measurements for the Tempest are all taken using only one voice coil. I've wired up DVC drivers both single and dual and have not suffered any damage.

this is getting funny...ok lets get this straight, I misread the first post the application that you want is to use both drivers with dual 4 ohm voice coils

the easiest way is to wire both drivers in series and use a passive crossover so that the amplifier maintains the minimum impedance it wants to see

and for the record Rod....the amps that collect dust on my shelf that I use to use for competition were 1 ohm stable bridged and 0.5 ohm stereo.....the purpose was to stay in a lower wattage class

enough of my rant LMAO

Cheers!!The DIRT®

I know that you can hook up only one coil. It's not as if some kind of force field will stop you from only hooking up one coil. However, if you have a DVC speaker, lets say a 4 ohm 150 watts RMS per coil. That would bring us to a 600 watt maximum power speaker. If you power only one coil, that will cut the power in half which will result in your speaker become 300 watts maximum power handling. Now, your speaker is only being half powered. It is only using 50% of its potential. This could result in not hitting the desired frequencies you are trying to achieve, and a loss in db efficiency. I am aware that you can power only one voice coil on a DVC speaker, I would just strongly recommend against it. Unless of course you do not need the extra power handling and are satisfied with using only 50% of what you paid for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.