Open Baffle Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering that OB drivers don't actually pressurize the room would it be a reasonable assumption that the low frequencies from open speakers wont travel through the house and be as audible downstairs as just a bass line like closed or ported speakers?

As I have before mentioned my mother really hates bass, and I was thinking OB speakers might be a way to have it travel through our house less

Yes.

Listening in the next room, OB speakers sound natural and balanced as in front of them, just lower in overall SPL. While boxed speakers just sound very boomy in such situation.

Pressurization aside, its directivity also contributes. In fact I'm not sure which is more significant in this regard....

Ok thanks. I budgeted out my next few ideas for projects and the open baffle came out to a minimum or around $300 which is a bit more than I want to spend but I will keep it in mind for the long term for sure. I've been making some money from selling my high school friends car subwoofers and if that picks up a bit I could actually have enough money for some nicer drivers and electronics which is cool. I have to work for all the money I spend (i.e. my parents dont buy it for me) which gives me an appreciation for the cost of these systems, but also makes finding budget tricky.

I think next I'm going to make some needles with some fostex drivers and keep it around $200 and use it as a secondary system in my room. I want to get into veneering and the needles look like a great place to start, plus theyre small, relatively speaking.

Then after that I think I might look into a diy tube amp and get my hands on a nice D/A converter....

So many projects, so little time. I need rehab

Yes.

Listening in the next room, OB speakers sound natural and balanced as in front of them, just lower in overall SPL. While boxed speakers just sound very boomy in such situation.

Pressurization aside, its directivity also contributes. In fact I'm not sure which is more significant in this regard....

Don't over generalize.
I have heard many and own boxed speakers where there is nothing boomy about the sound when listened from the another room.

I think I know your problem. Elderly can lose the rest of their hearing but still retain bass. So it seems to annoy them even more.

I don't think open baffle is going to help you in the way that you hope. You will get less bass, and that is probably the only way an open baffle will help. The dipole nulls in the room will have little effect on the bass getting out of the room. In theory a dipole can give some reduction, but in practice I doubt it will amount to much.

Headphones, limiting the bass and volume are your solutions ... unfortunately!

Related, but can be ignored if too OT: What about something like a medium-sized church sanctuary? Say 2000 sqft. Musical instrument cabinets are at one end. Bass gets bounced around and turns muddy.

Could a couple of symmetrically placed U-frames for the lower registers help minimize the problem? Maybe a standard 1x12 or 2x10 for the mid-upper registers? Wonder if a U-frame Alpha 15 could handle the situation and minimize the pressurization/room mode issues?

Last edited:
Aaron,
For that situation I would say you want to control directivity in the midranage - Synergy horn is ideal. In the bass if you have problems with excessive reverberation times then acoustic treatment is needed.

That was my other thought. Can I contact you offline about horn size and frequency range? I would expect to really only want 80hz and up as it can get muddy below that in a non-PA and non-treated room.

Peace.

I would also second the headphone thing, it can be very enjoyable. It's hard to beat the quality of sound for the effort/money.

Embrace headphones rather then think it as a step down. Get a proper, over the ear type headphone, not those little whistles folks call earbuds.

Hi,

If its not a solid floor also consider a force cancelling arrangement.
This can reduce bass reappearing elsewhere due to coupling issues.

FWIW OB bass if it reduces the excitation of modes across the
room, theoretically it does, then it should reduce bass going
through the side walls somewhat, but probably not that much.

Also FWIW I quite like relatively low levels with the very low bass
Eq'd up to be audible / sound balanced. The very low bass in all
but inaudible in other rooms in my flat, due to threshold issues,
and (building resonant affects aside) inaudible to neighbours.

rgds, sreten.

4 of these in a force cancelling W frame arrangement at $12 each
is a very budget place to start, should work well with no EQ :
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=292-412

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shown is a force cancelling and distortion cancelling W frame arrangement.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Considering that OB drivers don't actually pressurize the room would it be a reasonable assumption that the low frequencies from open speakers wont travel through the house and be as audible downstairs as just a bass line like closed or ported speakers?

As I have before mentioned my mother really hates bass, and I was thinking OB speakers might be a way to have it travel through our house less

Having used both ported, sealed and OB woofers I will have to say: yes, absolutely. OB's are much less annoying in the rest of the house, at least in my house... And I do have the same bass level with my my OB woofers as I did with other systems.

My bass system comprises of 5 x 15" pr. side - one of the very nice benefits of this system (apart from the sound) is the fact that all the bass energy is concentrated on the sweetspot. NOTHING connects to any building or construction parts, I have tested with 110 dB steady bass and in my wifes bedroom (diagonally as far away as possible from the music room) absolutely NOTHING can be heard OR felt. The music room is in tha basement of the L-shaped house, and my wife's bedroom is on the ground floor, opposite end. The house itself is not specially treated in any way, and the size is about 3.200 sq.ft. so it is not like a huge castle...

i live in a flat made out of huge concrete panels and contacted a farmer for loads of egg boxes got like 600 for £12. carpet sprayed em on the wall n cos the room stunk of card board i sprayed em with airfreshener n cos there so dry they warped n loosened. worked well for echo (reverb) but cos i wasnt able to paint em with the warping n all i decided to take em off. might help with your bass issue(flanking) but thats the hardest to cut down try spiked speaker standes n just think whats gonna vibrate too.

i live in a flat made out of huge concrete panels and contacted a farmer for loads of egg boxes got like 600 for £12. carpet sprayed em on the wall n cos the room stunk of card board i sprayed em with airfreshener n cos there so dry they warped n loosened. worked well for echo (reverb) but cos i wasnt able to paint em with the warping n all i decided to take em off. might help with your bass issue(flanking) but thats the hardest to cut down try spiked speaker standes n just think whats gonna vibrate too.

Hi, Quite frankly bugger all to do with bass issues, won't help at all, rgds, sreten.

Since I live in Europe all my experiences were in what the british
insurance companies call 'dwellings of standard construction' ie
made of bricks or concrete too.

Hi,

True for the structure but not for internal non-load bearing internal walls.
They are typically timber framed and older wood laths and plaster, newer
plasterboard, you are lucky if all your walls are actually solid construction.

Applies with a vengeance to houses converted to flats, and cheap housing.

rgds, sreten.

I too notice better isolation from the rest of my house with Open Baffle bass speakers.

The sound in room is perceived to be bigger, IMO then with sealed bins, which would need more power to give the similar sound level.

This is contrary to how it is usually approached.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.