Planning out a new OB system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 06:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Planning out a new OB system

So I've just finished my first OB project for my home office and of course as things go, it's time to start planning for the next project for my larger room (13'x18'). I'm new to the hifi/diy world so bare with me if I show my lack of experience here. So the budget is $2K (tops) and this was what I was thinking:

> Roughly 2'x4' baffles, 2.25" thick, CNCed. Inspired by Jamo r909 design
> Tang Band Full Range powered by PeachTree Decco2
> Double Eminence Alpha 15a's powered by a couple of Dayton 150watt amps
> Source: MacbookPro w/ Fidelia

Click the image to open in full size.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Anyone have experience with those Tang Band's? I've considered the Fostex combination but I'm trying to do something slightly different here.
Old 31st January 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

With a budget of 2k why not build an acoustically superior Nao note?
Old 31st January 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi , I think that those amplifiers have some high pass and low pass filter selectable functions , or are you relieving on the natural bandpass behavior of each loudspeaker ?
I also think that with that set of loudspeakers you can go with the TB in OB
and the Eminence in BR (just one ,not two ). So you can focus on the amplifier side ,using just a stereo set and passive crossovers . Consider also other choices , such as the other TBs with white paper cone ,available in 3 ,4 and 6 inches diameter . I would favor the choice of the little 3" ( low mass cone ,very fast ). And reduce the size of the woofer to a 12" ,better ,a 10" ( Maybe with dual voice coil , so it may be advisable to go with 4 amps again ; can you mod the Peachtree to run from 300 Hz ?! ). It depends on the size of the hall , distance from the walls ,listening distance ( you'll need to consider directivity ) ....
Old 31st January 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I didn't like the 1808 tang band. If you look on the freq response from TB, there is a +5db level from 1.5khz - 3.5khz. You really don't want that area raised, if anything, with an equalizer, you'd probably lower that area. And the dispersion is about 2 people wide at 12'.

Norman
Old 31st January 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Beer budget "Version" of $10,000+ Jamo Open Baffles

Hi,

Take a look at the above. also model your bass drivers properly for
excursion limited power handling, which determines max volume,
not the efficiency as long as you have enough watts.

The lower efficiency drivers above will handle more power .....

rgds, sreten.
Old 31st January 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Open baffle is the harder way to enter in the DIY HiFi baffle.
The Jamo geometry is not the thing to do. Use a fullrange is not a good idea, add a tweeter to have nice treble ...
Built a proven design ?
Why don't you build a linkwitz Orion ? or a Nao Note as suggested.
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonirvine View Post
So I've just finished my first OB project for my home office and of course as things go, it's time to start planning for the next project for my larger room (13'x18'). I'm new to the hifi/diy world so bare with me if I show my lack of experience here. So the budget is $2K (tops) and this was what I was thinking:

> Roughly 2'x4' baffles, 2.25" thick, CNCed. Inspired by Jamo r909 design
> Tang Band Full Range powered by PeachTree Decco2
> Double Eminence Alpha 15a's powered by a couple of Dayton 150watt amps
> Source: MacbookPro w/ Fidelia

img too big

Thoughts? Ideas?

Anyone have experience with those Tang Band's? I've considered the Fostex combination but I'm trying to do something slightly different here.
Old 31st January 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
It would help to know what music you listen to and whether your 'general' listening is critical [it always is with new speakers!]. Also if you can give an idea of the order of importance of perceived imaging, instrument placing etc and average volume levels I am sure you will then receive better advice. Much interesting information can be found on <http://lampizator.eu/SPEAKERS/Loudspeakers.html> and also on DIYAudio under Joachim Gerhard - who is a proven designer.
Old 31st January 2012, 06:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks all so far, for the good advice! It's becoming clear to me HOW much of a newbie I am at this.
So more about what I'm looking for since brianco asked:
1.) So I'm really interested in building a fairly simple open baffle mainly because I've heard my friend's setup and was blown away. I loved the depth of the soundscape--hearing the instruments placed so vividly in particular spots of the stage was something I've never experienced before. I also like tight bass, not boomy or lingering--ideally the sound I would get at a live show. I think I would be happy with this setup (at least for a while) if I could achieve similar results.
2.) This leads me to music taste: I listen to a lot of singer/songwriter acoustic stuff as well as modern versions of folk, jazz, and alt-country. I like to listen to music at the med-loud range simply so I can be immersed into the experience, again, as if I were at a live show.
3.) Simplicity: I also am drawn to the OB thing because it's simple. I don't have a huge workshop anymore and after having my shed broken into a few years ago and losing all of my power tools, I've been apprehensive of investing in them all over again. The open baffle seems like a simple design where I can buy the wood, design it in Illustrator, have it cut perfectly by a CNC guy, and then add cosmetic finishes to my liking. I don't really want to build boxes for this reason as well.
4.) Design: as a designer by trade, I really struggle with form over function. The Jamo R909's were one of the few OB designs that I thought were beautiful and attainable.

So far, SRETEN's link to the "Beer budget "Version" of $10,000+ Jamo Open Baffles" has been most interesting. I'm learning a lot from that post.

Since I'm new to this, I don't really understand the "why's" behind some of the feedback. If possible and time permitting, I could use a "schooling" on some of the more technical rationale on what works and what doesn't work, esp with my paper plan so far.
Old 31st January 2012, 07:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Do something very simple ?
See JB construction : Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Note : Simplicity doesn't mean better and good results ...

Last edited by jerome69; 31st January 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

HI jonirvine I thinks you start with rigth foot ! nice system and going active you solve all the problem .....

these full range have good feedback ...no you don't need a tw! at last you can add after a back fire at 10k ox..

look at a B200 fr a lot info for the 15" baffle....

W8-1772 or the W8-1808 probably better ,alternative the seas (fz22??)

audiocircle have a OB forum....

Use the simple Xlbaffle.xls to see the f3 of FR in the baffle....

if plate have +6db boost at 40hz you can thinks at Beta 15" as N.Pass use...

Ae speaker is a good alternative (search skorpion post) is you ox at 200hz
If the FR go to 100Hz eminence is ok...

Tang Bang W8-1772 Project Advice Needed

better use plate amp with active XO ,this dayton ?

Hide this!Advertise here!