Jordan JX92S driver speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building some full range speakers with the Jordan JX92S drivers. A crossover-free design is appealing to a newbie like me (1st post).

Has anyone built any speakers with this driver? If so, what type of design? Any comments on this driver are also welcome. Thanks.

Gabe

Gabe,

if you haven't seen it already Jim Griffin finsihed first in the open class at DIY2001 in Atlanta. Se the links below. The second one is to the single driver website which is great.

http://diyatl.freehosting.net/open-1st.html

http://melhuish.org/audio/

Good luck and report back the result to this forum. I'm also interested in building a speaker with a JX92S but it is not on the top of my list at the moment.

/Matti

Thanks for the replies guys. All useful info and links.

Any thoughts on the implications of adding a 2nd driver in order to get some more SPL (besides the obviously bigger box)? I am looking to build more of a bookshelf speaker than a floor standing model.

Gabe

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
The Jordan appears to be a very good midwoofer. However, I really have never been even half way satisfied by a single full range dynamic speaker.

I would recommend using the Jordan, and making a 2 way using 1st order crossovers. Talk about a forgiving/flexible midrange! Hehe. You can pick virtually any tweeter that you want with the Jordan's extended and smooth HF response and pad it down(the tweeter) to match.

Anyways, that's just my recommendation.

Good luck!

-Chris

Originally posted by CHRIS8

The Jordan appears to be a very good midwoofer. However, I really have never been even half way satisfied by a single full range dynamic speaker.

Hello Chris, Gabe and all,

just can throw in some listening experience. with the Jordan.

I heard this speaker together with the small Jordan with the recangular basket in a two way speaker sealed enclosure. It was at AllenWright's place and with Allen amps, definitely a top-notch frontend.

The driver itself almost can be considered as a full range driver; it is very satisfying to listen to w/o the tweeter and I doubt the added highlights of the tweeter are worth the added complexity, the sound is not as life-like then. The driver has very high detail resolution and no perceivable coloration at all. Would be my dream if the sucker had not so low efficiency. Impossible to get real dynamics out of it with a small tube amp.

However, Allen's two-way all Jordan speaker is one of the most open-sounding and detailed speakers I came across so far. Recommended.

I have been using the 50mm Bandors cone for years, 4 peer channel, no xover, in a 7ish litre box

Bandors are made by Ted Jordans Exwife I believe, the intellectual property was split.

<a href="http://www.bandor.co">Bandor</a> the links not working for me at present
Have a look at <a href="http://www.efmax.co.uk/efmax%20audio%20project.htm">ERSKINE FENTY'S</a> la little less than 1/2 way down

The Bandors present more detail than my (old) Stax SR Gamma Pro headphones.
They Fill my smallish room with a huge image, including height. and go louder than I ever need with a 30watt hiraga class A.

US Distibutor Was Drexler Audio Systems.

They were considerably cheaper to buy than the Jordan equivalents

Regards
James

Re: Allen's 2-way Jordan

Originally posted by planet10

Allen's speaker is actually the Jordan JX150 + the JX53. The 150 is larger than the 92 (216mm vrs 140mm).

dave

Thanks for setting me straight, Dave. :)

If I sensed the JX150 to be almost fullrange-usable, then I would guess, the smaller JX92 should need no support in the treble end.

Although and added JX53 might be fine if the XO fits.

Anyway, I liked the Jordans very much.

Lobing issues with 2 drivers

I have finished building 2 of the single driver mini-monitor type speakers with the Jordan JX92S drivers. The volume was 10L with a 1-3/8" vent. They sound spectacular. After hearing these drivers in both this speaker and a friend's transmission line design, I have decided to pursue other designs with this driver.

I don't have room for a floorstanding transmission line design (that will be reserved for the basement listening room), but I would like to build a vented speaker with 2 drivers which would fit on a low bookshelf unit. I would like to build 3 speakers for the front L,R and center of my surround system.

My concern is the layout of the 2 drivers and vent port on the front baffle. How do I arrange these in order to avoid lobing or other deletirious effects? Any suggestions or guidlines on the layout?

Sorry for the long intro...

Gabe

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
"My concern is the layout of the 2 drivers and vent port on the front baffle. How do I arrange these in order to avoid lobing or other deletirious effects?"

Place port on back if you adequate room to place speakers 1.5' from wall at least. You don't want a front port radiating excessive midrange resonances directly into the soundfield.

You can not avoid 'deletrerious' effects, the drivers are already beaming like laser pointers at upper range. Lobing in HF will be SEVERE, causing very discountinous resopnse in vertical dispersion. This will be indicated by widely varying response as you move you head up and down by even small amounts. I will not even discuss power response, as you made your priorities clear in using a FR in teh first place. If you MUST use 2 of these drivers(for added bass I presume) use a coil and cross teh second woofer, to corresponsd with baffle step. This will prevent the combing. DO NOT use it full range.

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Lobing issues with 2 drivers

Gaber said:
My concern is the layout of the 2 drivers and vent port on the front baffle. How do I arrange these in order to avoid lobing or other deletirious effects? Any suggestions or guidlines on the layout?

IMHO the only place you are going to put a 2nd driver without it affecting the positive character of the FR is on the back, and that won't work well in a bookshelf. You would be better off relieving the Jordan of bass excursions by adding a pe of active woofers.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jordan etc

Hi guys,

May I pick your collective brains?

I am in the process of putting together speakers that will each have a line of 4 Jordan 50mm units on the narrow front, with each 2 Jordan 150mm mid/bass modules on the side of the cabinet, a naarow floor standing colum.
I have used these units years ago (these are the older units before the Jordan split-up) in a bi-amp config, but now want to use them with a passive xover.
The xover freq probably will be somewhere around 250 or 300Hz. What I am looking for is some pointers as to the best xover config, what order, series or parallel. Any experience with this from your side?

Thanks, Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.