Jordan JX92S driver speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Jordan etc

janneman said:
I am in the process of putting together speakers that will each have a line of 4 Jordan 50mm units on the narrow front, with each 2 Jordan 150mm mid/bass modules on the side of the cabinet, a naarow floor standing colum.
I have used these units years ago (these are the older units before the Jordan split-up) in a bi-amp config, but now want to use them with a passive xover.
The xover freq probably will be somewhere around 250 or 300Hz. What I am looking for is some pointers as to the best xover config, what order, series or parallel. Any experience with this from your side?

I think that you may well lose a lot if you go to a passive XO. With 4 50mm modules you may thou be able to get away with a 1st order XO in which case i would try a series XO. It always struck me that 4 units gives more dynamics & efficiency, but sacrifies some HF focus due to the combing.

Are the 150mm drivers the JX150? it is good up to about 8k so it won't care much where you XO it, although in thinking about similar designs i have limited myself to 150 Hz for a side firing woofer.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jordan stuff

phase_accurate, planet10,

Well, actually, the xover was passive, but between the preamp and the power amps in a bi-amp config. It was a simple 2nd order LC job, which I dumped many years ago. The drivers have been eating dust since.
The woofer indeed is the JX150, but I want to xover as low as possible to have an uninterrupted midrange which I think is important. (I must admit I am more of an electronics guy than a speaker guy).
The biamp sytem had a xover freq of 250Hz if I remember well. Since the drivers both are really wideband, I can afford a low order, say 2nd, xover. I think.
Anyway, the boxes (closed box) are designed and in the process of assembly per the Jordan recommended volumes. I made the front real narrow to avoid reflexions, just the size of the 50mm modules. Becauste the box needs a larger width for asthetic and woofer placement reasons, I used solid corners with a 2inch radius.
Do you agree to the low xover freq? Xover order?

Cheers, Jan Didden

jordan loudspeakers

Ihave been useing jordan speakers for the past 10 years or so,I was drawn to them after reading his original article in hi-fi news,which I still have.The idea of an aluminum foil cone which is lighter than an electrostatic had immediate appeal. Ihave only used the jx53 in combination with the jx125 as after reading an article by someone in speaker builder there was mention of transient smear with four units.jordans webb is www.ejjordan.co.uk he only sells direct so you will have to contact him,I' sure he will be only to happy to answer all your que stions as will I ERRORS LIKE STRAWS UPON THE SURFACE FLOW THOSE WHO WOULD SEEK FOR PEARLS MUST DIVE BELOW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.