Foster Speakers in North America - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2012, 05:42 AM   #1
RAART is offline RAART  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Foster Speakers in North America

I hope that some people will chime in with information where to purchase Foster speakers, preferably in Canada but USA is fine too.

Looking for the following:

Foster Hi-Fi Woofer 434126 or 434127

Will need 4pcs.

Link to Foster: Foster Electric Company, Limited : Hi-Fi Woofer series
Old 28th January 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I was under the impression that you bought Foster mostly in OEM quantities. I to would be interested in knowing if you can get small quantities.

dave
Old 28th January 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I emailed Fostex but until now no response from them... That is the reason I posted this here. I was hopping that someone knows more...

I will email Foster also (if I dont get response from Fostex soon) but Foster and Fostex is the same company and Fostex has a distribution in North America.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Fostex is a tiny subsidury of Foster, selling pro gear and a limitednumber of diy loudspeakers.

dave
Old 28th January 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The worst is that I need exactly those speakers from Foster and do not know how to get them... Need to replace my old speakers (currently refoamed by someone who should know how to do this but I am not satisfied and now want to replace all 4 drivers (2 woofers per speaker) and those ones are match just different product code from oem manufacturer. Foster make them for them.

Last edited by RAART; 28th January 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Dave, it didn't come to my mind before that you are "Dave" from Planet 10 HiFi even it was the same nickname... I checked your webpage in a search for my first project driver.

While you have access to many good full range drivers like Mark Audio CHR-70 I just was thinking if one of these can match specs on that Foster drivers I need. Just a thought.

I just want to save my old speakers (Beovox CX100) which design I love and have something that can play really nice and right now I am thinking if some of those full range drivers can fit there and looks like that MA CHR-70 holes are match but sides might need some shaving. If you can take a look at specs and let me know. It might need some tweaks to it too but later to that...
Old 28th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to guess that if you can't get the drivers you need from B&O or someone parting out a functioning pair, a reengineering might be required... but you won't end up with the same speaker -- if done right you could end up with a better one. Refoaming using generic foams is alwsy a crap shoot, as they are unlikely to have the same compliance as the original.

Can you post pictures?

dave
Old 28th January 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Probably right...

I will post some pictures later on however those guys at Audio Oasis delivered crap and worst thing is that I payed for it $160 + tax. IMHO the drivers are ruined and I do like them replaced. I do think even that I will do better job refaoming but I did say let professionals do it... and the end result was a disaster. Anyway short story I need new woofers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
a reengineering might be required... but you won't end up with the same speaker -- if done right you could end up with a better one.
I do like this idea since even you said this and just think from where to begin. First I was looking to find a driver which can fit there and during research find some probably suited donor drivers according to dimensions. Those are Marc Audio CHR-70 (with some modifications on the casting - it needs probably to be squared) and Marc Audio Alpair 6.

Then I was looking into this Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

Any idea?

Regards, Rade

Last edited by RAART; 28th January 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 29th January 2012, 06:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave,

Here are the pictures as requested.

add info:
- width (between screws) is 11cm
- opening hole is 9cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (404.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg image004.jpg (411.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg image005.jpg (400.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg image006.jpg (411.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg image010.jpg (383.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg image011.jpg (386.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image012.jpg (364.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image013.jpg (412.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 29th January 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

and I am currently looking into this pair of speakers... Looks like it will fit the opening just sides needs to be squared.

CSS WR125ST

Hide this!Advertise here!