Is the AE TD15M the ultimate mid driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The original sound has already been recorded including any desired reflections.
Adding more which are only related to ones listening room but obviously not to the space the performance took place in does nothing to advance fidelity IMO. It does create an illusion of space which was not present or intended on the recording though.

Bass indeed is a problem due to the wavelength but as I said before: If I had the opportunity I'd soffit-mount my speakers.
Failing that I keep mine as close to the back wall as possible although I had to knock well over 6dB of my woofers output to get them within +- 2dB from 25Hz-20kHz. Mind you that does reduce cone excursion and thus distortion.

Soffit mounting also makes it a lot easier to have the speakers visually disappear which does help the listening experience enormously.
IME the ideal speaker would be an invisible, monopolic point-source.
One of the reasons I am so fond of my Tannoy DualConcentrics.

Not sure about not needing listening room reflections, over-dampened rooms do sound a bit lifeless. And you read about how disconcerting listening to music in anechoic chambers can be (have not had the pleasure). But agree about the many advantages of IB/soffit-mount. Also think speakers up against the back wall get an overly bad rap, particulrly wrt bass (if one can dial it down accordingly). But if you are wanting the back wall reflections to play less of a part you probably wouldnt want to put the speakers there - to mitigate their contribution you'd want to attenuate and delay these first reflections, which you can only do by getting the speakers away from boundaries (and dampening the wall)?

Apologies to the OP for getting a bit off topic.

Cheers
B

True, listening to to music in an anechoic chamber is not much fun and sounds deeply unnatural (I've tried) but I have never come across an over-dampened room.
On the contrary almost all rooms benefit greatly from installing basstraps plus some reflectors and absorbers, most importantly at the places where first reflections occur.

It is well known in studio design circles that there is an 'ideal' range for the RT60 time: Too long and the sound turns to mush; too short and it becomes a bit lifeless.

Either way isn't bass from a box omnidirectional rather than dipolic?
In other words and depending on wavelength there should be less destructive combfiltering in the bass than with dipoles.
My woofers are less than 12 inches from the walls btw which equates to roughly 1.2kHz at which point the woofer is beaming at a 90deg dispersion, same as my tweeters.

I would however like to hear some ME Geithain as their bass radiates in a cardioid pattern rather than being omnidirectional.

And my apologies too to the OP!

Hi bvan,

Thanks for the reply!

Hi PK. As has been commented by others who have done the mod - it makes a bit more 'relaxed and detailed' sounding. I've read somewhere that 2nd order distortion drops significantly.

FR wise I did end up with a slight depression at about 2-5k (I EQ it out with +1.5db on Fabfilter). I think though that it might be more a case of a rise bellow 2k, and again between 5-10k. Others who have done the mod on the plain TPL-150 report a rise towards 9k if I remember. I dont know anyone else besides myself who's OB'd the horn version of the Beyma.

So a bit less linear than the stock version. Without recourse to EQ I'm not sure if I'd prefer the mod...but its very easy to do, and reversible, so worth a go.

Howzit Hennie, nooit I havent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.