HiVI B4N dzzz Distortion Overnight Sensation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HiVI B4N dzzz Distortion Overnight Sensation

Hi every audio Diyers

First checking for cheap two way mini bookshelf i decided to go with the famous Overnight sensation.

Not complicated but after few listening test i notice few problems.

The box size bring some gain problem somwhere between 150 and 250 hz and bass is shy and lack kick. I add lot of white light stuffing inside and i browse all the house to find a material that react on the problematic frequencies. I finaly find an chrismas sock tissue that make the job

So with this add-on the bass is more present and have more cick with less off resonnance and incoherences. Not perfect but better.

Everything was promessing until i make some test for other frequencies. There i'm verry disapointed by a kind of distortion and it's why i need your experience and help

On many frequencys like 500hz, 600hz, 700hz, 1kh (on near all but at different level), i get an thin steel problematic vibration. It's like a mini brass horn that try to reproduct speaker sound. With test, it's near that sound it make when i touch lightly the cone with my finger but less quiter.

All thest setup result in same thing. Driver only out of the box, driver in the box, no crossover, plugged to left chanel, plugged to right channel etc. ... the issue stay present.

When i plug my Monitor Audio RS8, the frequencies are soft, and the MA drivers stay stealth ! So my tube amp do the signal correctly.

The two B4N produce this distortion but one louder than the other.

Impossible to get hifi sound with this issue that make driver immediatly detectable in the soundstage ans it make listening fatiguing and agressive.

I don't know what to do .. is that broken drivers ? Just cheap drivers ? It is the normal quality i'm supposed to get ? If yes, is there a better driver i can fit with same enclosure and crossover to save the project ?

Thank you for your help !
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have heard of a few instances where people had a defective HiVi B4N. The problem is usually because the tinsel leads are slapping the cone from the back. I would recommend checking this first. Also, try and contact the store where you bought the B4N and see if they can get you a replacement woofer.
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefinition View Post
I have heard of a few instances where people had a defective HiVi B4N. The problem is usually because the tinsel leads are slapping the cone from the back. I would recommend checking this first. Also, try and contact the store where you bought the B4N and see if they can get you a replacement woofer.
I don't hope get answer by the OS designer itself !!!!

My respect

Your design is fabulous ! At last, it's the first time i mak a complete project that sound better than what i can buy for the same amont (over BestBuy for example). This kind of tiny bookshelf simply does'nt exist there.

I put the woofers back in the enclosure and use it as is. The sound is pretty good anyway. No leed, no wire seem to touch the cone. But it still adhesive on the back so few dust stack on it. Can it create sort of distortion ? (i look every possibility)

I understand now that if i can get the best of theses jewell, i need to push it a bit with more power. It seems to need an 50w amp for about 25 - 35 w output. My 30W Shanling need to bi pushed over the sweet sounding zone. But the result stille as good as cheap amp righ in the sweet zone

I make some "absolutely not scientific" mesure. Am i supposed to see an 1500 - 5000hz pump ? I already have read somewhere that it usual on metallic cone...

Thank you verry much for your sharing. You make my chrismas holliday more exciting even my student budget

Wow i'm full excited lol
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

just to confirm it is a driver issue, disconnect the tweeters from xover and play left/right woofers seperately. repteat process for tweeters in order to find which driver is the problem. double check the xrossover construction as well.
i have built a sealed and ported version and the ported put out more than enough bass. a very pleasing design in my opinion.
hope you find the problem and if it is a driver, do as Paul mentioned and contact your supplier. they should go good for them providing there isn't physical damage (dropped, screwdriver through the cone etc)

david
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue934 View Post
just to confirm it is a driver issue, disconnect the tweeters from xover and play left/right woofers seperately. repteat process for tweeters in order to find which driver is the problem. double check the xrossover construction as well.
i have built a sealed and ported version and the ported put out more than enough bass. a very pleasing design in my opinion.
hope you find the problem and if it is a driver, do as Paul mentioned and contact your supplier. they should go good for them providing there isn't physical damage (dropped, screwdriver through the cone etc)

david
Thank you for advise

Like i try to write with my *poor english (I'm french), i do test with woofer separately out of the box. Plugged direct on the amp just after test the tone with reference speaker.

What sound strange for me is the two woofer do this distortion but at different level...

Just to compare, what stuffing do you use (location and quantity) in your OS ?

How much time to you have to wait to fully breake-in the woofer ?

thank you again !
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

it's been a while since i built these but i think a put a softball size wad of pillow stuffing in the bottom of the ported box but not blocking the vent. that was for mid base tuning only. adjust to preference. you did line the walls with some acousting damping of some kind, did you?
the sealed was lightly stuffed full.

if the drivers are sounding odd out of the box, try to return them.

i usually play new speakers all day while i'm at work for a few days before i get critical with them but that won't fix a buzzing woofer.

david
Old 25th January 2012, 02:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default return

I'm a bit perplexed...

Solen respond my email by mention that this hivi driver is problem free and get no return over 10 years ...

I should go there to make some test... not really interesting when consider the value of drives... Maybe it's the reason of no return over 10 years ?

... this drive get good review and is qualified as verry low distortion...
Old 25th January 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Solen

I make a record of 625hz sine wave of the B4N and RS8. I make
a .wav file with two test in line and i send it to the store.

Support reply saying that my ears are better than them because he does'nt make difference between two sine reproduciton.
This same guy already said that difference between the sound with this quality Caps is evident. (huh!) I don't know what to tink about this...

I don't know where to put this file to let you ear it. ??

I'm verry surprised. I'm scared that the kind of quality i'm looking for is not realy the same than average...

So if it's the case, i have to said that Silver Flute drivers are amazing for the price. Way better distortion level than what i get with HiVi and TB Speakers.

Don't need any measurement system to inditify this issue
Old 26th January 2012, 01:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaristys View Post
I'm a bit perplexed...

Solen respond my email by mention that this hivi driver is problem free and get no return over 10 years ...

I should go there to make some test... not really interesting when consider the value of drives... Maybe it's the reason of no return over 10 years ?

... this drive get good review and is qualified as verry low distortion...
that's a strange reply. just because a product has been sold in the past with no returns doesn't mean that a defective unit can't exist. i've dealt with solen for yrs with no problems so i hope you can sort this out with them.
Old 26th January 2012, 03:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Every people who listen to my little .wav file of speaker comparaison find the distortion is evident even with basic sound system...

I'm not happy with this reply !

And because the two driver show the same issue seems to be more quality than deffect..

Someone know an alternative driver for this volume and same crossover ?

Hide this!Advertise here!