Opinion on these horn units please ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

Just curious if anyone here have had any eperiences with these drivers, I think they were intruduce around in the mid '70s. I don't have the spec on them and have no idea what they sound like. Anyone ???

Here is some photos:

A) Realistic model 40-1228, imp=8ohms, horn measure 3'' x 7 1/4''
realistic horn tweeter.jpg

Yea, had some in the 70's. They sound just like a $2 horn from the 70's. I may still have one around. Might be fun to see what modern measurements and crossover could do to help it. Then again, it may not. I had a 2W amp and some unknown 10 inch woofer. It made noise in my dorm mounted in a cardboard H baffle.

Were they made exclusively for Radio Shack to market ? but back then, isn't Realistic were supreme in their creation? Someone said they were made in Japan, not sure aout that...

Just wonder how they sound, BTW, anyone here know the spec on these ?

I plan to mate them with my Yamaha Onken... more on those later...

Alright, here it is...

Yamaha 15" JA-3881, 8 ohms, spl=100 db currently being tested in a 150 Liter Onken cab.

Yamaha Onken 2spkwgrl.jpg
Yamaha Onken singwoutgrl.jpg

They souind very good so far. Bass extension goes very deep and very loud. These drivers are incredible in bass reproduction.

Hope I can use them horn them REALISTIC HORNs....

....a non replaceable diaphragm.
Actually, if you pry the back cover off, and glue it back on after, the diaphragm could be replaced.

I wish I would have realized it back when I was using them, at one point I had around a dozen dead ones sitting in a box.

If I had known how to make a decent passive crossover, would never have blown them, a simple capacitor does not cut it on the Foster/Radio Shack horn when trying to get 120 dB from a stage monitor ;).

I do agree with the review saying they sound better than the Heppner, which looks a lot like the Foster.

Funny to see horns I was using in the 1970s being sold new.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.