A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

I measured the test tone at:

• 2 volts or less

Votes: 334 40.6%
  • Between 2-5 volts

Votes: 252 30.6%
  • Between 5-10 volts

Votes: 106 12.9%
  • Between 10-20 volts

Votes: 55 6.7%
  • Over 20 volts.

Votes: 76 9.2%

• Total voters
just tested my dac output, playing audiophile song measured 0.2V-0.6V, pop song 0.5V-0.6V, while using white noise 1khz 0dB it's measured as 2.4V. another test using pink noise -18dB that pano posted in this thread, it shows 0.33V.

it means with regular music, i will never reach full power of my amplifier which require 2V for it's maximum output.

2V seems a standard output, but what kind of music that can reach 0dB? as we are diyers, why it's not common to make dac output as 5V, so when volume pot already max, that mean the maximum of the amplifier output on regular music.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the test. I would say, yes, you will easily reach or exceed the max output of your amplifier.

If you measured 2.4V RMS on the full scale sine wave, then you have a little more than you need. The reason that you found lower voltages on music is because they are lower - on average. -18dB is a common level for a good recording. You saw that on the pink noise and on the audiophile song. Remember, that's average. The peaks will still go to 0dB on almost every track. Those peaks will be hitting the peak power of your amp, and it may even clip some if the volume is all the way up.

Bottom line: Average voltage will be low on music, but the peaks will still go all the way up to 0.

Just did the test myself, surprised I need so little voltage, my amplifiers will be satisfied :)
The 120Hz sine gave me a reading of 500mV on my RefSpeakers
I upped the volume a little and I get 1.5V
At listening position my Db meter showed 91-92dbc with music playing

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks! That makes more sense, but is still surprisingly low. Those REF speakers are really living up to the sensitivity you quote! Nice work. Thanks for posting.

BTW, with that low voltage requirement, have you ever tried running them from a SET amp? Something in the 5 Watt range? Just wondering your impressions with an amp of that low power.

Thanks ! Yes, I wanted high sensitive speakers, makes it all much easier and better sounding :)
No, I haven't tried them with a SET amp, but I think that the double 10" woofers like a lot of current... biamping would be option.
The amps so far used are F5, Cubie2, FirstOne 1.4 and DartZeel clone(DC coupled).

Regards,
Danny