A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: I measured the test tone at:
2 volts or less 140 37.74%
Between 2-5 volts 126 33.96%
Between 5-10 volts 48 12.94%
Between 10-20 volts 21 5.66%
Over 20 volts. 36 9.70%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st January 2012, 04:27 PM   #51
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think one of those is Art running close to P.A. levels, so it's a legit data point. The other is probably our 9000 volt friend who is running several megawatts on the peaks.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:49 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

This poll got me thinking. loud seems to be ~107dbc in-room for most, It was for me. But that was accomplished with seven mains. With the -12db 220hz tone each main was getting 1.4Vac to produce 95dbc each. For someone getting that same spl In-room with only two mains they are going to need more voltage... but that doesn't seem to be true. Room size could be the culprit. Or sensitivity with conventional full range mains could be generally higher. interesting stuff

It was interesting that my sub needed only 4x the power to keep up with the seven mains and for 0db would only need 125w.

Thanks,
revb.
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:26 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

That's right, this poll relies on the subjective perception of "loud enough" and not on a precise level of dB. This lack of numbers makes the approach interesting but adds also an uncontrolled variable, that's why it's better to give a few infos on the room and the system.

I will say a big evidence : a great room allows a higher level, already by the increased listening distance. There is also the blurry notion of how much dB to fill a space following the boundaries absorption and the volume. The distorsion of the drivers + amps as the general balance must be some other factors. If it's not screaming, huge pressures can be endured with a "big" system, but beware of hear losses.

Last edited by Radugazon; 22nd January 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:39 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

2 volts or less for the mid/tweet, but the bass units require more as I've opted for small sealed boxes + LT to make the loudspeakers more visually acceptable. Still this doesn't go beyond much more then around 1 watts @ 8 ohms, but this is heavily dependent on the source material. The subs can eat a decent amount with movies though.
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:12 AM   #55
diyAudio Moderator

Right. The test doesn't ask for an SPL, just "as loud as you ever go." That's going to be different for different people, for sure. But it does let you know just how much voltage you need at your personal maximum. (We'll talk power next week).

It does seem that "loud enough" is fairly consistent from room to room, tho. I know that I can stand a much higher SPL in a big space than a small one. My room is about 300 cubic feet and with decent sonic treatment. 105dB peak is about all I want. In a bigger space, that might go up 10dB.

See room below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room-pano-1.jpg (69.6 KB, 554 views)
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:39 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

If you remove the workbench, this could become classy ! I like the mappemonde.
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:54 PM   #57
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Gazon. You should have seen it before I remodeled it. A ratty old garage. It could be classier, but I feel uncomfortable if it's too neat and clean. The mappemonde (globe) is a bar. Great place to hide the booze.

Thanks to all who have posted! Let's hope we can pick up some more measurements this weekend.
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:48 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

I burned a CD and i made the test at a high level... Not too long because i think my neighbours will be not happy. My amplifier power is 50W/8ohms. My speaker is a derived version of my big OB ~80dB/W1m and 4ohms speaker.
I measured the two test tones at 12.2V RMS.
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:05 PM   #59
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Jerome. That's pretty high, I don't think your 50W amp will have any headroom at those levels. In fact I think you'll be clipping anything above about -5dB.
Of course if you don't actually run that high most of the time, you'd be OK.
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:11 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

No problem for my amp, 500W of power behind them, 50W/8ohms --> 100W/4ohms
My amp gives true watt ! You can trust the result
I listen music with very high level ! I am not still deaf
The minimum speaker I tolerate is 8"+1". 5"+1", 6"+1" can't supply the level i listen.
Yes these levels are rare because my neighbours will knock at my doors.

Hide this!Advertise here!