A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need? - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: I measured the test tone at:
2 volts or less 150 37.50%
Between 2-5 volts 137 34.25%
Between 5-10 volts 51 12.75%
Between 10-20 volts 24 6.00%
Over 20 volts. 38 9.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th February 2012, 07:18 PM   #491
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
e friend (he's not a member here) just did the measurement: he actually listens at about 200W maximum with 90dB speakers. wow!
That sounds about right ...... necessary for dynamic !!!!
Old 8th February 2012, 07:22 PM   #492
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
That sounds about right ...... necessary for dynamic !!!!
no it doesn't. because at that power and that sensitivity even average levels are very high. I'd say that his average is louder than my peaks which is very loud IMO.
Old 8th February 2012, 07:27 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
e friend (he's not a member here) just did the measurement: he actually listens at about 200W maximum with 90dB speakers. wow!
A 90 dB one watt one meter speaker can do 113 dB at one meter with 200 watts. Add a second, and in room response goes up about 3 dB, 116 dB maximum. Move to 2 meters, peaks are down to 110 dB.
A snare drum peak level can sound about twice that loud (120 dB) at that distance, assuming no power compression, the speakers would require 2000 watts to achieve that level.

For those that like levels approaching loud live music without distortion, 200 watt peaks in to a pair of 90 dB speakers is not unusual.
Old 8th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

No not unusual, what's unusual though is his listening level as it is significantly above what this thread shows is probably the norm. I certainly NEVER listen, regardless of the music, at that level.

What music does he listen to?
Old 8th February 2012, 08:04 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
No not unusual, what's unusual though is his listening level as it is significantly above what this thread shows is probably the norm. I certainly NEVER listen, regardless of the music, at that level.
Seems odd you have NEVER been near a stage with rock music, or a horn section, or a disco, where peak listening levels are frequently above what a 90 dB speaker with 200 watts can achieve .
Old 8th February 2012, 08:06 PM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
anything with notes in it. he has the most eclectic tastes I can think of. he said that the maximum level was with opera.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:18 PM   #497
Sin Bin

Quote:
no it doesn't. because at that power and that sensitivity even average levels are very high. I'd say that his average is louder than my peaks which is very loud IMO.
Describe your setup , you maybe experiencing dynamic compression and not know it ... I'm sure your friend is not using 200 watts RMS and I'm sure his avg din is not over 88 db, @ 88 db he will need all of that 200 watter to not have dynamic compression on opera..

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
A 90 dB one watt one meter speaker can do 113 dB at one meter with 200 watts. Add a second, and in room response goes up about 3 dB, 116 dB maximum. Move to 2 meters, peaks are down to 110 dB.
A snare drum peak level can sound about twice that loud (120 dB) at that distance, assuming no power compression, the speakers would require 2000 watts to achieve that level.

For those that like levels approaching loud live music without distortion, 200 watt peaks in to a pair of 90 dB speakers is not unusual.
I have found some listen at 3 m on the Avg... most 3- 4M ......

Quote:

You obviously don't listen to very dynamic music or recordings, 84 din can rise up to 103 db ..

Quote:
anything with notes in it. he has the most eclectic tastes I can think of. he said that the maximum level was with opera.
This makes sense, one of the hardest recordings to reproduce and sound a live is opera or any kind of stage production. I cannot listen to my Sarafina recording unless i have the big amps out, if not dynamic compression kills the experience and then when you have the avg down, makes the whole thing useless, no reality !!!!

If you listen to a lot of pop and rock type music , it will take a lot less to sound loud, they are usually recorded hot, with limited dynamics and mucho noise...

Last edited by a.wayne; 8th February 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:32 PM   #498
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post

256watts for 114db @ 1 m, 5 db for the additional pr and channel , extrapolate listening distance at 4 M works out to 107db for 512 watts total both channels...

Means his 200 watter will not hit dynamic peaks of 107 db without distortion and compression. If it's opera, it's easy to conceive he is listening at an avg din of 84-86 db leaving only 10-12 db of headroom before clipping..
Old 8th February 2012, 08:36 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
you maybe experiencing dynamic compression and not know it ...
no way. it's just that I don't ever listen to opera, listening position is a bit closer and I live in a block of flats.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:37 PM   #500
Sin Bin

Are you willing to describe your setup ...? interesting to note ......

Hide this!Advertise here!