A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need? - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: I measured the test tone at:
2 volts or less 143 37.34%
Between 2-5 volts 130 33.94%
Between 5-10 volts 51 13.32%
Between 10-20 volts 23 6.01%
Over 20 volts. 36 9.40%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th February 2012, 02:59 AM   #281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
I'm not sure everyone here owns a scope. I don't.
I do and I use it. It's just that I understand what Pano's test is trying to do and I know that unless the amplifier is going to go into current limiting before it hits the voltage limits, that Pano's test is just as good as using the scope.

In fact Pano's test is somewhat better then using the scope and here's why.

Using the scope with music and watching the wave forms is a bottoms up way of doing the test. That is, I can watch the scope trace and look for any clipping but it's heavily dependant on the music being played. That is music starts at silence then goes its merry way reaching certain peaks. What I really need to do, to make sure that I will be clip free at that volume, is play a sine wave sweep but start right at the top, that is 0dB. If the sine wave sweep played at the maximum digital amplitude for that given volume ends up clip free on the scope then I'm home dry.

Pano's test goes about finding this exact same level at 0dB, but does it without the need for a scope.

Last edited by 5th element; 4th February 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 4th February 2012, 03:02 AM   #282
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

What 5th is saying is correct but it does not apply to what Tom and I are speaking of ....

5th your are applying the fix digital signal as supplied by pano after using an variable analog signal to set gain with no reference . The best way to do this correctly is to use the scope , your zero db reference is nothing more than the loudest volume reached it does not represent the max of anything more than the limit acceptable by the user on a specific recording ....

Pano should do a recording to be used by all , along with the test tone , if not we have no reference so the numbers are useless for comparisons or any conclusions...
Old 4th February 2012, 03:05 AM   #283
Sin Bin

Pink noise and a db Meter , measure the voltage .....
Old 4th February 2012, 03:07 AM   #284
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tom, with all due respect, you simply do not understand this test. I respect your experience and designs, but you are not understanding the test - and I don't know why.
Please read post #277, all you need is contained therein.

The first sentence of post #279 may also help.

BTW, there has been no resistance to looking at a 'scope by those who own them. None. The only thing close to that is that one doesn't need a 'scope for this test. Nothing wrong with using one if you have it.
Old 4th February 2012, 03:13 AM   #285
Sin Bin

Pano the test is done using pink Floyd , will the results be the same switching to the 1812 symphony ....?
Old 4th February 2012, 03:14 AM   #286
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the test results will be the same voltage. However, if you set your levels with Floyd, then your 1812 levels will probably be too low, by ear. The test tone won't care a bit.
So if you want to know how much voltage you need not to clip very dynamic tracks, then set the volume with the 1812 overture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Pano should do a recording to be used by all , along with the test tone , if not we have no reference so the numbers are useless for comparisons or any conclusions...
This says to me that you don't understand the test. Yes, I could supply a recording, but what good would that do? Don't you already own recordings? Can't you pick a few typical or dynamic ones and set your "As Loud as I like it" volume? The SPL is beside the point. The point is, "this is my highest volume setting" no matter what recording.

The object of the test is not to determine what SPL is "Loud Enough" for you and your system, but what voltage your amp puts out once you have reached that level.
Old 4th February 2012, 03:16 AM   #287
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
I do and I use it. It's just that I understand what Pano's test is trying to do and I know that unless the amplifier is going to go into current limiting before it hits the voltage limits, that Pano's test is just as good as using the scope.
buying a scope is one of those things that I keep on postponing. I oscillate between an used Tek/HP/etc, a brand X one, a USB scope and a digital Chinese scope until I get bored and give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
In fact Pano's test is somewhat better then using the scope and here's why.
I can't see how one can follow the waveform on the scope display to catch clipping

btw I just realized that we're going on about clipping when it wasn't even mentioned by Pano.
Old 4th February 2012, 03:18 AM   #288
Sin Bin

Dynamic clipping is easily viewable with a scope ......
Old 4th February 2012, 03:18 AM   #289
diyAudio Moderator

I think I've mentioned clipping a few times. That's the whole idea of the test.
Old 4th February 2012, 03:21 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
you are not understanding the test - and I don't know why
my thoughts exactly, I somehow have the feeling that there's a lot of confusion floating around but can't put my finger on it. maybe it's me who doesn't get it.

Hide this!Advertise here!