Starting a new speaker company

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quite a generalization. Ryan (tuxedocivic) doesn't seem deaf to me, just in need of practice, quite a few other local youngsters that are also carrying the torch.

dave

PS: the TVR in your name refer to the obscure British sports car? My boss at the hifi shop had one...

TVR was an obscure british sports car manufacturer. They were brutally loud, too loud to be legal in Switzerland.

TVR's aren't obscure - just wait for the tyre smoke to clear! Big engine-gearbox-axle. No computers. I was lucky to catch a TVR club coming down to Brighton once. They parked up in formation at the Marina and showed off thier machines. Then a few of them when for a blast around the multi-storey car park - Think 100ft high cliffs & large echo-y concrete structure with 4L+ engines blasting through minimal resistance exhaust :D:D:D they were asked to leave after that

OP - miniDSP + digital amps = Meridian speakers at 'budget' price levels - just a thought

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was lucky to catch a TVR club coming down to Brighton once.

My most memorable experience was riding shotgun, Terry winding it out, and then having to slow down when he hit 140 mph (90 kph zone) because the air pressure differential was pulling the windshield out.

Looked like this, but white with blue racing strips and had a 289 in it.

1962_TVR_Grantura_Hardtop_Front_1.jpg

dave

I liked TVRs own straight six engine but when they cobbled two together to create the Speed12 it was just insane!
The only time I've known a racing version producing LESS power than the official road-going one.
That said TVRs owner at the time managed to persuade every customer to opt for the restricted 675bhp racing engine. He deemed the road version to be undriveable.
The unrestricted engine broke TVRs dyno (it sheared the input shaft!) which was rated up to 1000bhp. The car weighed 1100kg.

Sorry for the OT btw.

What an interesting point of view from all of you guys, very good read!

So did you take a decision? I am an entrepreneur myself 9 years and growing on the Computer Network Integration business, and if you ever decide to move forward I can share this in this order:

1.- You can't start a company by research, you have to have guts, make a project box and put it out there, start creating a name for you, locally and on the web of course
2.- Make sure you know your break-even point, if the business is not making money is not a business
3.- Set yearly goals, ALL involving growth, finances and business expectations, set a vision and mission statement for the company
4.- Hire people and set a process for every stage of your operation
5.- Never stop learning, force yourself into courses, management, accounting, etc...
6.- The passion for this hobby can be shadowed by business stress, so make sure it's something you can commit long-term and keep it fresh by learning and going to events
7.- Never look down, if you think you are going to fail, it will happen.
8.- What you can't do, God will do for you. Keep the faith.

There could be much more involved but those are my business basics :)

If I wanted something unique, I'd go for yellow, blue or white driver cones.

At the same time, I like that places like Madisound, Meniscusaudio etc. sell kits based on proven, well-engineered designs from experienced designers. One thing that's missing though in some kits is the flat packs to go with them. I mean who has all the tools to make the baffle holes for the drivers? If you only wanted to build one or two pairs, it adds to the cost of the speakers you wanted to build. I don't believe I've seen kits designed by Audioexcite. That's one possibility you could explore right there. You could sell a kit with the recommended cabinet and damping material, crossovers and drivers. Then you could post a Youtube video to show people how to assemble.

If I wanted something unique, I'd go for yellow, blue or white driver cones.

At the same time, I like that places like Madisound, Meniscusaudio etc. sell kits based on proven, well-engineered designs from experienced designers. One thing that's missing though in some kits is the flat packs to go with them. I mean who has all the tools to make the baffle holes for the drivers? If you only wanted to build one or two pairs, it adds to the cost of the speakers you wanted to build. I don't believe I've seen kits designed by Audioexcite. That's one possibility you could explore right there. You could sell a kit with the recommended cabinet and damping material, crossovers and drivers. Then you could post a Youtube video to show people how to assemble.

If the OP wants to go the kit company route, then indeed offering nicely routed front panels would be a plus. The guys who offer that interesting cheap SEOS horn do that.

It takes many years to convert a proven design to CNC... :)

I'm all for CNC. For the loudspeakers that I made, i was already happy that I could source a wood/mdf supplier that would also cut the round holes for me, and in the case of a complex horn with angles on the sides, they could also cut that. And at a reasonable extra fee.
However they didn't offer the routing, it would have been nice to mount my drivers flush.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.