Starting a new speaker company - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 04:42 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLaplante View Post
For sure, i will be posting a picture of my design.(just need to make it a little more presentable)
It wont have any dimension or anything since i am still shopping for my drivers.
Ive always liked scan peak but feel free to suggest anything, Im still shopping.
Yes, even the discovery series drivers are to expensive for a $1000 /pr tower speaker that is well built in Canada with a proper xo, and marketed.

Think cheap and perhaps consult with the designer you choose to pay.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:00 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Don't quit your day job unless you are extremely well funded.

dave
Old 18th January 2012, 05:08 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
Trust me i wont quit my job unless the demand start going up.
And i actualy need a LOT more before i can even start to think about selling.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
+1

That is what I am about to say. I guess getting into this biz requires substantial investment and ability to chalk up the losses.

Now is the time where most well established speakers companies are struggling.

I don't meant to discourage you but the people with the money (1% or less of population) may not have interest in the low cost speakers.

The people with less money who are HT oriented has so many choices so you need to be very highly competitive.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:28 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, the hardest part is compromise between sound, size and materials cost.

DIY speakers put 100% of the cost directly into the drivers and materials. So of course it's a bargain but a commercial equivalent of a $100 DIY effort would have to cost many multiples of that, with my wild guess being about $1,000.

Another challenge is size. The bigger the speaker, probably the fewer the unit sales. People build speakers for best sound, but people -buy- speakers based largely on looks and how it fits into their living space.

That's why I think a technological breakthrough would be essential to a commercial venture. Otherwise, one risks being simply a company "making standard speakers but with higher quality but at an affordable price." I don't think that will cut it, unless one is aiming at a specialized niche (e.g., commercial single-driver speakers, or the big horn market where bigger size is actually a plus, or any other niche where the sound quality is more important than appearance).

Just one person's opinion! I think you should go for it because of your passion. Don't let anyone dissuade you (although I believe a venture like that will take years if not decades, based on the examples of others, though your experience may be different of course).
Old 18th January 2012, 05:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

"The people with less money who are HT oriented has so many choices so you need to be very highly competitive"

Thats why i would rely a lot on the cosmetic part to be able to stand out compared to the competition.
You cant put high quality drivers in a budget series, you either wont make money or you wont be competetive price wise.
If you look at most ht 'budget' speaker such as klipsch, polkAudio, Energy, etc. they are mostly sqare Boxes with Close to 0 cosmetic design.
I would obviously not put the sq a side, sq will always be #1 priority.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:48 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

If your speakers were really good and active I think it would be easier to get into the pro market.
Word of mouth there still trumps marketing many times.
As an example Barefoot Sound did not exist a few years ago and now their monitors are very well regarded and they can't make them fast enough.
Thomas Barefoots two active 3way models retail at $5750 and $8995 the pair btw and are handmade in the USA.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:49 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I agree with most here about starting out with a niche product, I also am in the process of doing something similar , and yes it's a niche product, it's been a year for the first design, sofar. Hopefully your in this because you think you can do a better job at it than what's out there, or as others have said, have some new innovative ideas, start out thinking this way, instead of making a business to make money. Looking at all those other designers who are successful I think you'll see a common thread that they have their own philosophy on what make the best sound reproduction.

Good Luck!

Oops, cats out of the bag as Charles had mentioned the pro market, as a recording engineer/musician I see a spot where my product can fit in.

Last edited by ds21; 18th January 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Who's going to do the engineering design? You? If not you, then who?
Edgar Vilchur of Acoustic Research fame was lucky enough to hire some real talent like Roy Allison, Henry Kloss and Ken Kantor. Hope you get as lucky!
Roy and Ken are still around......

There's also a real talented guy who visits here frequently, speakerdave. He's got some impressive loudspeaker engineering credentials. He's also a Canadian resident.

Last edited by speakerdoctor; 18th January 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

High level of performance / construction & finishing could well be the easiest to reach and maintain -many of the DIY projects displayed here and elsewhere wouldn't be embarrassed in direct comparison to mainstream commercial products.

Getting interested potential customers' ears on your products, as opposed to posting pretty pictures or test measurements on the 'net is a whole 'nother story.

Unless all sales can be delivered or picked up locally, which will of course seriously limit your market penetration, sturdy packaging, shipping and damage insurance expenses can easily double your out the door costs on entry level products.

Hide this!Advertise here!