Starting a new speaker company - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 03:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
You're entering an extremely competitive industry.

Could you post a picture of one of your designs?

Why limit yourself to scan speak drivers only? Are you planning on buying them off the shelf, or getting the developed for your oem application.
For sure, i will be posting a picture of my design.(just need to make it a little more presentable)
It wont have any dimension or anything since i am still shopping for my drivers.
Ive always liked scan peak but feel free to suggest anything, Im still shopping.
Old 18th January 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You should read as much about Henry Kloss and Edgar Vilcher as possible. Don't put too much stock in your "education"; it's not always useful in the real world of small business. Know what a marginal business is, since you'll certainly have one. You're trying to enter a crowded and mature market where everybody else has a substantial advantage over you. That includes technology, equipment, sales and management. It's still possible, but you'll need flawless planning and a not inconsiderable amount of luck.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:09 PM   #13
sarte is offline sarte  Finland
diyAudio Member

One thing you should consider, is that most of the speaker companies have lead designers that have years of experience of speaker design. This is a craft that needs IMHO loads of experience so you can get a consistent results with your designs.

New companies from the east make excellent designs with very small cost. Competition is ruthless and unless you are willing to strike on a niche market you could be facing serious problems with profits.

Problem with niche market is that you either should have some kind of technical innovation (preferably patented one) or your design should be something that no one has done before. Judging from your earlier post, you have either above.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Id suggest reading some robert kiyosaki as well, he writes very well about business and financial literacy.

Begin with Rich Dad Poor Dad and dont stop.

Once you understand his POV youll be able to conciously choose to operate this and it wont die due to your stress.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:34 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If it were as easy as designing and building a few great sounding single or multi-driver speakers, there'd be far less traffic posted on this and other DIY forums

Take a page from cuzzin Ed's book and be a bit more assertive /aggressive about it?
Old 18th January 2012, 04:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Listen to all you geezerly old coots so well versed in how sales really works. Don't discourage the youth, they're the ones willing to work hard and make it happen. They haven't experienced the numbing reality of why things really sell and how to trick those with disposable income out of their cash. They will soon enough but until then they will design and manufacture truly wonderful things so how 'bout some encouragement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpoke View Post
Doing well in business isn't necessarily all about having the greatest idea or the best product. It's knowing how to market your goods and/or services properly and making sure your message is on point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
If it were as easy as designing and building a few great sounding single or multi-driver speakers, there'd be far less traffic posted on this and other DIY forums
Marketing, production cost, gimicks, sales professionals....oh and an acceptably sounding speaker thing too.

Might I suggest you try this part time and get your feet wet. Don't start spending money on anything you don't have to have. Essentially you would be cutting wood and assembling a known design so you won't need a lab or much in the way of test equipment. You could pay someone here to do all of the engineering.

NCAA paint schemes?
NASCAR paint schemes?
NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB.....paint schemes?

...oh and they have to sound good too.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901Fixer View Post
Listen to all you geezerly old coots so well versed in how sales really works. Don't discourage the youth, they're the ones willing to work hard and make it happen. They haven't experienced the numbing reality of why things really sell and how to trick those with disposable income out of their cash. They will soon enough but until then they will design and manufacture truly wonderful things so how 'bout some encouragement?
I was trying to think of a tactful way of putting it, but yeah. That about sums it up.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

License the "BEATS" logo and slap it on some mediocre particle board and matte black finished speaker like thingies. They will sell like hotcakes to all the mindless youth out there and you can sit back and enjoy the 0.000000001% profit margin that Noel Lee and Dr. Dre let you keep.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901Fixer View Post

Marketing, production cost, gimicks, sales professionals....oh and an acceptably sounding speaker thing too.

Might I suggest you try this part time and get your feet wet. Don't start spending money on anything you don't have to have. Essentially you would be cutting wood and assembling a known design so you won't need a lab or much in the way of test equipment. You could pay someone here to do all of the engineering.

NCAA paint schemes?
NASCAR paint schemes?
NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB.....paint schemes?

...oh and they have to sound good too.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement,
I am actually working on this project part time, I'm not going to quit anything im doing right now to jump into this.
If once started I see that it is doing descent then I might consider dropping my current job to work full time in this.
I am not going to do all the engineering, ill pay someone to design a crossover(I'm lacking on crossover knowledge which is why im currently doing a lot of research on it.) and make sure everything is fine.

I have some basic in marketing and stuff so I think I know how to market my product and I strongly believe that I can deliver what people are looking for and expecting when buying speakers.

And remember im here to get advice and your opinion(positive or negative) So I can prepare my self in a future project, I'm not expecting to start the website development tomorrow.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:20 PM   #20
Account disabled at member's request

I have designed the possibly best sounding drivers ever made (both AMT and dynamic), and also crossovers and cabinets / baffles and have prototype systems that rocks, but without a brand name and some million $ to spend I will not even try your route.

As you do only have a sketchy idea of the products you will sell I wish you good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLaplante View Post
Im currently in college taking marketing, management, accounting and finance classes.
As you are still in school you have time before you, and you could also take some technical classes before you start with the technical designs...

Last edited by RayCtech; 18th January 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!