Zaph|Audio ZA5.3 MTM, opinions on quality/value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help a newbie choose a speaker kit, opinions on quality/value?

I'm a newbie to DIY loudspeakers and I've been looking at kits. I don't really want to be cutting MDF because I don't have a table saw and I noticed this kit with complete cabs.

Link to the kit:
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-za5.3-mtm-pair-with-cabinets/

My current system is quite a bit larger, but my room is only about 11x13" so I assume it's too large. I love power though and I'd like to know if anyone has heard the ZA5.3s and can tell me how they sound?

I'm looking for something that is a nice upgrade in quality even if it's not as powerful, there is attached photo of my current system. It's two pairs of 3way floorstanding monitors with 12" woofers. One pair is a budget technics from around 2000 and the other is an old pair of Made in Japan Teac's from the 80s or so. I know they shouldn't even be setup like this for quality I'm sure..

So, can anyone tell me if the ZA5.3 is a good value for the money (a bit over $500 shipped) I want something that's a substantial upgrade in quality and soundscape / stereo imaging. I will use these mainly for music but I also use this system as a partial home theatre with a surround sound receiver and rears.

I plan to put the ZA5.3s where my current monitors are, on small stands so the tweeter is at ear level. Would this be a good position and a good speaker for this room?

I know this might have been a wall of text but I'd highly appreciate any help, I'm new to this and I just want to get the best value for my money and have some fun.

I'm also considering:
Dayton Audio RS722CK Speaker Kit Cherry 302-972
and
TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702

Which is the best quality for the dollar?

Thanks much

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I built the TriTrix MTM and I really like them.
They image well and the tweeter is sweet n' smooth.
They need a bit (about 3db) of boost gradually from 125hz down to help the bottom end out.
I have simulated this boost curve with Itunes EQ and it really makes them sound nice without worrying about subwoofer crossover.

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 981
Yes, I'm sorry I should have posted a link. Here:
Zaph|Audio ZA5.3 MTM, Pair, With Cabinets: Madisound Speaker Store

More in depth info here when you scroll down to the 5.3 MTM section:
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter

My attention is the F3 at about 65.

You might try placing your Technics where the others are now. Turn off the Loudness button and the tone controls should be off. Use the volume control as the only variable.

Oh hey, the speakers should be at least a foot from the wall behind them ! A foot and a couple of inches will help. Play with it.

Paul

My attention is the F3 at about 65.

You might try placing your Technics where the others are now. Turn off the Loudness button and the tone controls should be off. Use the volume control as the only variable.

Oh hey, the speakers should be at least a foot from the wall behind them ! A foot and a couple of inches will help. Play with it.

Paul

Thanks for the advice. I have the others (teacs) down low because they're larger and very heavy. I might just get rid of them, I had both pairs running the past for more power but now I'm only interested in quality. The Technics are quite nice for what they are, but I believe they were budget minded and only sold for about $200/ea or so. They have a bright sound with tight bass.

I will try moving them down, thank you.
They used to be back in the corners up against the wall, which I know is terrible. I recently moved them to their current positions and they are a bit over a foot away from the rear wall, I made sure of that already :)

Basically, I just want to know if the Zaph|Audio ZA5.3s or TriTrix MTM would even be an improvement on my system and if the ZA5.3s are worth the premium.. for how much my current speakers originally cost, I would assume either would be an upgrade.

For the price of this kit, I'm very very tempted to just order it and see how things pan out .. but I might go with the ZA5.3 if the additional cost is really worth it..

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
I built the TriTrix MTM and I really like them.
They image well and the tweeter is sweet n' smooth.
They need a bit (about 3db) of boost gradually from 125hz down to help the bottom end out.
I have simulated this boost curve with Itunes EQ and it really makes them sound nice without worrying about subwoofer crossover.

Thanks for the info. Have you heard larger 3 way systems in a room like mine to compare? I want a "big" sound, but it doesn't have to be too loud. The TriTrix MTM look like an amazing deal and I'm about to bite the bullet and order them for how cheap they are ..

I've been advised that speakers such as mine are too large for my room in the first place, so I assume I should be fine with something smaller.

I design my own. I have used his spec drivers and "everyone" is grateful for his driver testing. Building some towers for my Nephew using them and a Seas right now. As we have used the same tweeter (27T) in projects, I see how he used it. I used his low pass as a starting point. Darn good. I have some different criteria, so it evolved a bit. If you want to really step up, go for the Seas based designs by Joe D. himself.

Table saws and routers are great, but the hard part of speakers is the crossover. It takes lots of measurement tools, experience, and time to get it right. 80% crossover, 10% drivers, 10% box.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My father has 1978 BSR 10" 4-Way Monkey Coffins that cross passive at 80Hz to a 1982 DVC Cerwin Vega 12".
I have listened to this setup as a child through today and they now exist in a room similar to yours.
They are powered by 150W stereo separates system and they are "Rockers".

To make a long story short YES.

The TriTrix MTM is not only a good value but it was a wonderful learning experience all around.
When mated to a proper sub (Note Polk PSW450 in the photo) it makes a wonderful dual purpose speaker.
They are a bit on the short side (Tweeter Wise) and I am planning on building an 8" pedestal for them.
Overall I am very happy with them and I enjoy sitting on the floor (due to the tweeter height) with my eyes closed listening to music again.

The biggest frustration is waiting for the drivers to break in.
After that fine tuning with stuffing is needed for best result.

Last edited:
Thought I't toss this out there:
When you go cheap, that is what you get. I guess everyone has to prove it to themselves. If you are looking for the best sound for the dollar, look for used.

That's how I got the system I have already, stuff from Craigslist. It's horribly hard to find anything of high quality and most of it, the people selling it don't even know what it is. I spend over three hours last night searching my local craigslist and the best I could find was a decent pair of Behringer studio monitors for a bit under MSRP ... I haven't had any luck finding anything high quality. All I can find is stuff similiar to what I already have, random 3 ways .. a lot of it very cheap stuff.

I'd love to go used, but I have no idea what to get and if I get anything online, by the time I pay for shipping I'd practically be paying for the cost of new.

Usually all I see on craigslist is similar 3ways to mine, usually for $100-$300 ... If I'm lucky enough for the seller to list a model number, it often doesn't even come up in google .. so I'm hard pressed to even know what I'm looking at or read reviews. I just want a good deal on good quality.

I appreciate your suggestions on what to look out for though.

My father has 1978 BSR 10" 4-Way Monkey Coffins that cross passive at 80Hz to a 1982 DVC Cerwin Vega 12".
I have listened to this setup as a child through today and they now exist in a room similar to yours.
They are powered by 150W stereo separates system and they are "Rockers".

To make a long story short YES.

The TriTrix MTM is not only a good value but it was a wonderful learning experience all around.
When mated to a proper sub (Note Polk PSW450 in the photo) it makes a wonderful dual purpose speaker.
They are a bit on the short side (Tweeter Wise) and I am planning on building an 8" pedestal for them.
Overall I am very happy with them and I enjoy sitting on the floor (due to the tweeter height) with my eyes closed listening to music again.

The biggest frustration is waiting for the drivers to break in.
After that fine tuning with stuffing is needed for best result.

By yes, you mean they're an upgrade to such a large/similar system in a room this size? I plan on getting a sub for them eventually so I'm not worried about their bass roll off. I also plan on getting small stands for them if required, to match the tweeters to ear level..

I'll gladly buy the TriTrix MTM, I just wonder if the price of the ZA5.3 which is almost twice as much, will provide 2x an increase in quality compared to the TriTrix ... somehow I doubt it?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe check out a pair of these.
$500 with free shipping for a pair.
I have heard and really like the RS180S-8 woofer that this uses a pair of.
The RS180-8 sounds quite nice in the 3-Way I heard them in.
For the price these are a real deal.
They are available in Cherry, Black & Maple.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You are correct in thinking that 2x the price doesn't "normally" equal double the quality.
The ZA5.3 does come with a prefinished cabinet which is nice.

As far as my TriTrix goes....They are definitely an upgrade in sound quality.
Simply having a 1.25" silk dome crossing in at 1350Hz is a testament to their design.
In a similar size room to yours the TriTrix images very well and with the help of a sub below 80hz they are very capable.
They image quite well for their budget design and I own a second pair of the tweeters in a different project that I enjoy at work.

Maybe check out a pair of these.
$500 with free shipping for a pair.
I have heard and really like the RS180S-8 woofer that this uses a pair of.
The RS180-8 sounds quite nice in the 3-Way I heard them in.
For the price these are a real deal.
They are available in Cherry, Black & Maple.

I was actually looking at those and tried looking for reviews but couldn't find so much. I was thinking of mentioning them in this thread but I forgot ..

I love how the crossovers and cabs are already assembled. I would also gladly buy a pair of those and I like the fact that they use larger woofers.. I wish someone here had heard all three of these speakers, so I could talk to them lol.

What it comes down to for me is:
What is the best sound quality for the money? quality/cost ratio.

My budget is about $500 max so the aforementioned Dayton Audio RS722 or ZA5.3 kit is about the most I can afford, but I'll gladly buy the TriTrix TMT if the additional cost of the formers isn't much of an upgrade in quality ...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
In my opinion the TriTrix with an appropriate sub (Good 10"+) would put you around $500 and sound like much more.
I spent a lot of time with my TriTrix's at a local HT stereo shop and with side by side AB testing the TriTrix's held their own with $900/pr. name brands.

The RS series of drivers are very good if properly tamed. I have used several of them.
If these are a deal or not all comes down to the crossovers. If who did them knows their stuff, they could be great. If they pulled a couple of "three way crossovers" out of their catalog, well.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.