photoshoot OB MK1, at least they sound good - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 11:15 PM   #61
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanate View Post
The Unbearable Lightness of Being -.)
No, no.

It's:

The Unbearable "Lightness" of Beaming.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:30 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Btw,

(..I'm thinking most of the last few pages should be moved to its own thread.)

The OB Mk1 (original thread topic) looks very nice!
Old 17th October 2012, 05:30 AM   #63
Khanate is offline Khanate  Norway
diyAudio Member

:-) Sure ScottG; beam me up!

And you are right, my project should move on to a separate tread. And Helmuts beautiful OB Mk1 deserves to stay on its own in this tread.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #64
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Btw,

(..I'm thinking most of the last few pages should be moved to its own thread.)

The OB Mk1 (original thread topic) looks very nice!
I am tuning the loudspeaker wiring amazing differences in sound using 4mm^2 copper, or 2,5mm^2 silver-plated copper. Or tinned copper-wire. And carbon wire.

It makes the bas round and progressive, or disappear in the total with a other combination. Other behaviour of bas works through in the sound perceived from the horn.
Now I found a nice combination for my system and drivers because I Bi-wire my system it really is a advantage to do speaker-cable tuning on the right spot.

So what I am saying it sounds now even better than it did already, with the hybrid bi-wire cable I was using containing a copper-wire silver-plated copper woven combination.

I can control the level of the horn to the bas when it do this the position of the singer is perceived as being further away or more in front when turning it.
And at the same time the sound-stage moves a bit up when the level of the horn is turned down. There is a ideal point to my idea depending on the mix of the the song they are different to.

This are when measured very little differences but make a big deal for listener. I would advise every one makes the mid-high-level controllable it comes very precise and also biwire it to the subbas.

Last edited by Helmuth; 17th October 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:50 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I am tuning the loudspeaker wiring amazing differences in sound using 4mm^2 copper, or 2,5mm^2 silver-plated copper. Or tinned copper-wire. And carbon wire.

It makes the bas round and progressive, or disappear in the total with a other combination. Other behaviour of bas works through in the sound perceived from the horn.
Now I found a nice combination for my system and drivers because I Bi-wire my system it really is a advantage to do speaker-cable tuning on the right spot.

So what I am saying it sounds now even better than it did already, with the hybrid bi-wire cable I was using containing a copper-wire silver-plated copper woven combination.

I can control the level of the horn to the bas when it do this the position of the singer is perceived as being further away or more in front when turning it.
And at the same time the sound-stage moves a bit up when the level of the horn is turned down. There is a ideal point to my idea depending on the mix of the the song they are different to.

This are when measured very little differences but make a big deal for listener. I would advise every one makes the mid-high-level controllable it comes very precise and also biwire it to the subbas.
-this also follows some of my experiences.

General items:

1. Increased resistance generally creates a "warmer" "rounded" sound, but with some loss in clarity. (..sometimes a great loss in clarity.)

2. The greater the moving mass and/or force generated by a woofer or grouping of woofers, the greater the effect on wire gauge differences - with increased gauge resulting in increased bass performance (i.e. "dynamics", "drive", "force", and often apparent extension as well.). (..and while resistance may change marginally in a real-word application between a smaller gauge wire vs. a larger gauge, it doesn't produce the same sort of alteration as found in #1 above.)

3. 1 & 2 seems rather dependent on the amplifier.

4. High Compression fitting usually sounds better (improved clarity, especially over multiple "joints") than soldering, though it does depend on the wire diameter. Larger diameter (and necessarily gauge) wire that isn't "flattened" at the connection point is better soldered. Unwinding a large gauge "flat ribbon" copper inductor (Goertz, Erse, Jantzen, Solo, etc.) and stacking it (to further increase gauge) with a compliant layer between wires makes an excellent woofer "wire" that is capable of compression fitting. (..at the ends though I do stop the compliant layer and make a small solder connection between the stacked wire for strength and oxidation prevention. It also needs "wrapping" along it's length to keep the bundle together.)

Last edited by ScottG; 17th October 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

I thought the silver wire would sound thin but it was the oposite the bas became more powerfull and round.
It is what I like that is the main thing.

Interesting you did also experience differences it is not only the gauge and resistance it is also a material depended behavior I did experience.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:19 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I thought the silver wire would sound thin but it was the oposite the bas became more powerfull and round.
It is what I like that is the main thing.

Interesting you did also experience differences it is not only the gauge and resistance it is also a material depended behavior I did experience.
I've gotten as much difference from litz vs solid core on high purity copper as solid core copper vs. solid core silver.

On one occasion a high purity silver did improve the sound (vs. copper), but I don't think it was the electrical difference between the two metals, rather the hardness/"mechanical" difference. (..that silver was particularly soft.) I also didn't have much of it and the gauge was around 25 or so, used on a tweeter.

I think though to hear much of any metal difference for lower current (small gauge) wire for loudspeaker hook-up requires a pairing amplifier that doesn't have many components in the signal path. (..fewer components, the greater the difference - and probably true for the crossover as well.)
Old 17th October 2012, 07:35 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I've gotten as much difference from litz vs solid core on high purity copper as solid core copper vs. solid core silver.
I did also think the litz difference sounded different very tin litz in thin wire and more thicker wire with thicker litz came out different in refinement in high frequency and spacious sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!