MTM Design needed on a budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the info. Some mighty fine drivers available, though many of them are fairly pricey in my 'neck of the woods'. The little SS M13-4535 FR with a bit of series resistance will make a nice MT or MTM for modest sized rooms, though a sub will be needed for larger rooms and/or serious SPLs below ~100Hz.

GM

Sorry about the wait...

Ok to answer as many of your questionas as possible:

Andy: i feel like useing 6.5", but i could go with 5-5.25" cos im currently building an adire audio shiva subwoofer w/ 350W amp (85L tuned to 20Hz) :nod:
Purpose of the speakers... well to keep up with the shiva :), also decent quality.

My current speakers are enough to keep up with my dual 8" subs, but i want just that little bit more :)

Room size... pretty small about 3M X 3M its a bedroom, guess you didnt realise i am only 16.

I've always wanted to try....

.. an mtm using the Peerless HDS 5" and either the HDS tweeter from WES components or a vifa XT25. (don't know wat cost that would be though, probably blow your budget)

I am in fact considering exactly that sometime soon, with a solid Tassie Blackwood front baffle !!! or maybe using the Trinity theme

My "Trinity Towers" used the 6.5" HDS and they were a beautiful speaker to listen to. (sold them for $3600):)

I have partial designs for the 5" "trinity" mtm fronts and mt rears.

Email me if interested cos the files are too big to attach here.

Another nice idea would be to use the Audax AT130GO + TM020J7, that would be a rather nice combo !!

email donna@me-au.com for prices,

my guess would be $50 for the AT130's and $30 for the TM020J7 (but don't quote me on that please !!!!);)

G'day Krazed,

The Shiva for a bedroom:att'n:
I like your style ;)

If we could get enough data, I'd guess that there would be a relationship between the VD of the subwoofer, and the age that you leave home!!! ...

I take it that your parents aren't familiar with the Shiva, and don't know that Shiva means "god of destruction."!!! (it's in the Hindu religion I think)

Seriously though, I think two drivers that you should consider in particular are the 5" vifa P13 and the 6.5" vifa P17. The former has an extremely flat response and is very easy to work with, the latter has good bass extension but the response is not as flat. If you have a sub, the P13 could be the way to go. Check out the Ariel and ME2, you could do a 2 way TM version of the ME2.

cheers,
Paul

My current setup:

Ok, I dont have what you would call a high end setup, but im working on it :)

My main speakers are made by R.P Acoustics and they are the B50 model, i have searched high and low for these speakers on the net and i cant find ANYTHING to do with them.:bigeyes:

The amp that drives them is a Teac amp from a mini system (60WRMS @ 6Ohms :confused: ) and i cant seem to be able to find the user manual anymore. Anyway the model of that is DC-D948.

I mosly use the system for music but movies are also played through it (its connected to my pc).

Anyone know how sound waves may effect fish? Because i have a fishtank in my room, and i dont really want my fish all dieing of fright.

Cant really think of anything else to add to this ATM.

Thanx for all your replies.

Update!!!!

I just found some Vifa drivers @ Jaycar. They were are the D26 screened tweeter, and the BC14G49-08 Mid/woofer which is also screened. The tweeter is $39.95 each, and the mid/woofer is $49.95 each or $44.90 each if i buy 4 or more of them.

Im pretty sure that this: http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/d26nc-55-06d.htm is the link to the tweeter because it has the same specs, but its a different part number, the D26NC-55-06D replaced the D26NC-15-06.

So my question would this be a good combo for an MTM alignment?

The Vifa midbass driver is a budget version of the 5" P13 driver - it is the logic range, which is a cheaper version. Keep in mind that the power rating is quite low - 30 watts rms. Also the tweeter is 4 db more sensitive so you will have to pad it. The response is fairly tame so the crossover would be quite simple. If you used two of the midbass and the tweeter, you would get a better power rating and the sensitivities would match.

5" midbass - 87 db sensitive
use two and add +3db sensivity = 90 db 1w 1m
tweeter: 91 db 1w 1m

The power handling will then increase as well. The net effect is that you get 6db more SPL (60% louder)

I haven't heard from anyone who has used these drivers, but I expect they should perform quite well used in an MTM arrangement. The small faceplate on the tweeter is an advantage - it allows you to put the midbass drivers close to each other - this is better for imaging.

Re: My current setup:

kRaZeDcHiCkEn said:

Anyone know how sound waves may effect fish? Because i have a fishtank in my room, and i dont really want my fish all dieing of fright.

Thanx for all your replies.

I can't see it being a big problem, after all fish in the wild often live in very noisy environments (rapids, surf/tidal/reef zones) And airstones, bubbling filters, pumps put a lot of noise into the water, and the fish cope with that ok...

Re: The web site...

kRaZeDcHiCkEn said:
The website i am refering to is the one that is linked to on your Username for this forum.

ok, that's my website!!!

busterno1 said:

Wes components .com http://www.wagner.net.au/Home.htm .
are a lot cheaper that jaycar . & sell vifa, peerless, sea-speak

If you email me I can tell you how to go about getting them at trade. if you want to?

trade price saved me $30 aus on a vifa driver compared to jaycar

if you can do that then it's better to go with the better quality drivers at a better price - the ones in Jaycar are only cheaper as they are budget models

paulspencer said:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's strange, you're not the first to say that the image doesn't work :bawling: Hopefully the image will work here ...

No I didn't get the plans from anyone ... Jaycar don't do TL's!
I worked out the dimensions using a few clever tricks ;)

If you still want to do it, I'd be happy to help

cheers,
Paul

on your website, the link for the picture is pointing to
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/WinXP%20user/My%20Documents/05%20Website/audio/images/Etude_TL_final.jpg

that's the problem ;)

Andypairo said:

I'm all ears....

I also tried to work out the dimensions :magnify: from the document they had on their website (TL6instructions.doc), and mine are only slightly different from yours.

Any info will be appreciated (x-over, dimensions, etc.)

Cheers

Andrea

PS Damn good looking speakers!

Andrea,

Are you still working on a TL with 2* P17WJ?
I'll need wome loudspeakers soon, and I think that I'll also design a TL with 2 of these.

If you want some help, send me a mail ;)

Alex

Andrea,

Are you still working on a TL with 2* P17WJ?
I'll need wome loudspeakers soon, and I think that I'll also design a TL with 2 of these.

If you want some help, send me a mail

Alex

Yes, I am in the pre-building phase.
Already collected the woofers, still unsure about the tweets: I wanted to use a pair of vintage Heil tweeters (AMTs), but the ones I have are slightly different in impedance (one has probably a replaced diaphgram); this is not a major problem (I plan to use a active x-over) but I'm a bit worried about spare parts in case one of them fails...
I also have a pair of Visaton ribbons but they don't go as low as needed.
My "emergency" tweeters are Seas 835 (if I recall correctly), alu dome and rear chamber.

Do you have some suggestions?

Cheers

Andrea

Andypairo said:

Yes, I am in the pre-building phase.
Already collected the woofers, still unsure about the tweets: I wanted to use a pair of vintage Heil tweeters (AMTs), but the ones I have are slightly different in impedance (one has probably a replaced diaphgram); this is not a major problem (I plan to use a active x-over) but I'm a bit worried about spare parts in case one of them fails...
I also have a pair of Visaton ribbons but they don't go as low as needed.
My "emergency" tweeters are Seas 835 (if I recall correctly), alu dome and rear chamber.

Do you have some suggestions?

Cheers

Andrea

Since your midbass are vifas, why not simply a D27?
Or a seas 27TFFC, they're told to work well when crossed low

Have you already designed the cabinets?

PS: have you measured the T/S params of your P17s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.