P-Audio BM15CX38 in MLTL cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if you've got some spare parts around , you might try Eminence's generic 2K5CX 2nd order electrical network values which consists of 2mH/10uF lowpass and 3.3uF/0.33mH highpass (reverse tweeter phase) - when using just a cap highpass it may be a good idea to use a swamping resistor across the compression driver

So with the 2.2 uF caps in the open baffle, it doesn't shout. I may have mixed up what you said. Does the crossover make a huge difference other wise? What about in the open baffle? I need to find a crossover design for this speaker in an open baffle. Thanks.

You need to measure the driver first, then figure a cross over. The 'Shout' will still be present even with a crossover. All your crossover is doing is choosing which frequencies the compression driver produces and which the woofer is producing.

The woofer won't go much higher than 1khz without getting horribly out of shape. The compression driver is a bit gritty below 800hz.

Crossing over between 800-1000hz still leaves the compression driver producing sound in the region where the driver 'shouts' 1.5khz to 3-4khz. This needs to be attenuated down or EQ'd and this helps with the harsh sound.

You need to measure the driver first, then figure a cross over. The 'Shout' will still be present even with a crossover. All your crossover is doing is choosing which frequencies the compression driver produces and which the woofer is producing.

The woofer won't go much higher than 1khz without getting horribly out of shape. The compression driver is a bit gritty below 800hz.

Crossing over between 800-1000hz still leaves the compression driver producing sound in the region where the driver 'shouts' 1.5khz to 3-4khz. This needs to be attenuated down or EQ'd and this helps with the harsh sound.

Agreed. EQ is almost mandatory to get the best from this driver. The cone does hold up OK above 1kHz but it sure needs tickling and non standard crossover slopes and non-coincident turnover points to get rid of the ever-threatening shout. Can be done though and is worth the effort. Get a miniDSP and relax.

rgds
blakkfire

Just finished building the crossover designed by Pano. A fun build with parts I ordered from Parts Express. After replacing the 2.2 uF caps with the crossovers I immediately concluded that the PA midrange shout was gone (I can't hear it anymore). A funny thing is that I can't detect any similar PA midrange shout with the same cap and drivers mounted in open baffle. I'm very pleased with the improvement the x-over has made in my MLTLs, and want to thank you Pano for designing and sharing the x-over and GM for designing the MLTLs. This has been a fun build from start to end! I currently use a Cambridge 840V integrated solid state amp for the speakers, but will soon hook up a SE300B tube amp instead.
.... Just saw the crossover you built did you change the cap. value on the Paudio 15"coax

bjuck57
Just finished building the crossover designed by Pano. A fun build with parts I ordered from Parts Express. After replacing the 2.2 uF caps with the crossovers I immediately concluded that the PA midrange shout was gone (I can't hear it anymore).

259672d1326223925t-audio-bm15cx38-mltl-cabinets-bm15cx38_cc2-jpg

thanks gray......are still using the 15 coax Paudio speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.