Help with converting sealed box line array loudspeaker to transmission line enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the last 4 years I've had a 2-way line array loudspeaker in my system consisting of eight ScanSpeak 18W/8531G-00 midbasses and eight Fountek NeoPro 5i ribbons in a sealed enclosure. F3 is 60Hz, so I augment with stereo subs. I greatly enjoy the music they make and they are "keepers", but I must move to a smaller living space which cannot accomodate the subs. I'd like to simplify in any event. My crossovers are outboard, making life a bit easier. I have no experience with enclosure design, and ask for guidance regarding the feasiblilty of building new transmission line cabinets for my arrays. Manufacturer specs for the ScanSpeak 18W/8531 lists a Qts of .36 which, hopefully, is transmission line friendly. I've no experience with enclosure design and will seek a cabinet builder for the actual changeover. If bass reflex has merit, I'd surely consider. I assume no crossover modification will be required, but let me know if I'm mistaken. All help is greatly appreciated!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any transmission line is going to be larger than a sealed box (assumming the same number of drivers). An Alpha line uses a larger than necessary box, and lots of damping to simplify the design algorithm for these TLs.

A more optimum TL can be designed using all the tricks.

To get a smaller box you are going to have to use fewer boxes.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.