Pairing a midrange with AMT1Bs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the early 70s I have loved the Heil speakers. Both with my AMT1s and 1Bs I find them awesome but If there was any I would change about them it would be to add some midrange as the AMT3s have. I have toyed with the idea of adding some midrange drivers to them (externally) as to not mess up the boxes (Also not much room there for one). I am not familiar with the midrange driver used in the AMT3 so what would be a good pairing for the 1Bs?

Audax HM130C0 5-1/4" Carbon Fiber

I have the smaller Heil AMT paired with the Audax HM130C0. This Audax is a solid performer. Crystal clear.

Presently, it's in a 7 Liters BR (F3=70Hz). It works well in a 2-3 Liter Sealed Box too (F3=130Hz). May be worth looking into.

Attachments

• AUDAX_HEIL.jpg
    AUDAX_HEIL.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 119
  • SealedBox.jpg
    SealedBox.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 115
Yes, the Audax can use for mids, no problem. Enclose it in a sealed box (2~3 L) and cross the Audax at 125~500Hz to the 12". Personally, for mid use, I prefer to cross at 300-500Hz. This frees the mid-woofers from the mid-bass. I get cleaner mids this way. However, this Audax doesn't modulate the mids when producing mid-bass.

Using this Audax is a bit of a luxury for mids. A cheaper but equally good alternative is to use a dedicated mid-range driver like this VIFA PL11MH09. Unfortunately, they are now discontinued. Mid-range drivers seems to be out of fashion nowadays. They have been largely replaced by Mid-Woofers.

Attachments

• VIFA PL11MH09-08.pdf
    68.9 KB · Views: 55
Old thread-Eminence Alpha 6A , or while they last Aura Sound NS6 255-8A.
The Aura sound give you a bit of additional mid-bass clarity- really a low distortion driver, and the ALPHA 6A can put a lot of so called high end mid/mid-bass drivers to shame @ $44ea.
Use the AMT3 crossover design-in practice the cross over points are 500hz (mid covering 500-2500HZ), Heil taking over @ 2500hz.
The 12db slope and generous driver overlap works great with the Great Heil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.