Building my own Ghetto Blaster ;-) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2003, 09:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building my own Ghetto Blaster ;-)

Hi!

Last year around christmas I went to a skiing trip, and there was a gyu with me who carried a comparatively big "Ghetto Blaster", I think made by Aiwa with him. It had two bass drivers, was made out of the thickest plastic I have ever seen or felt on such a thing, and could produce an enormous amount of bass (and at high levels, too). Of course there must've been some equlaising at work, but it sounded very nice for such a product.

Now I am wondering, if I could build something better for myself. Not with a radio or CD included, simply a long case with the pre/amplifiers, connectors and loudspeakers, made out of MDF.

While I'm pretty sure about what amplifier technology to use (either GC for mid/high and GC with current afterburner for bass, or GC for mid/high and P3A for bass), and an old Thomessen Bass Expander processor, I am not so sure about the speaker chassis.

I was thinking about using a ready-made 3-way speaker cit for cars, because they seem to offer best value-for-money, for example Canton CS 3.22.

Of course I could also use home chassis, but then I don't have any equipment for measuring & building good passive XOs at home, and therefore would like to avoid running into troubles because of badly constructed XOs...

Any ideas, advices?

Bye,

Arndt
Old 17th September 2003, 10:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be careful with car hifi speakers.
They are usually made for, let's say, "uncertain" mounting conditions (car doors etc.). With an MDF case, you can use a true sealed, vented, or bandpass design. So I think it would be a good idea to go for serious hifi or even PA drivers with reliable parameters available.
The central question is: how much bass do you want? What is the desired -3db point?
Old 17th September 2003, 10:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi!

The XO should be half-active (active for sub to mid, passive for mid/high), and the XO frequency I want to find out with listening tests, and in accordance to the size of the midrange driver, shouldn't be above 80 Hz.

I even would substitute an absolute maximum of volume level for deeper bass, as deep as it can possibly go with a "standard" ghetto blaster volume of say about 30 - 40 l, and with active equlisation.

One possiblility would also be:

Use home hifi equipment (or PA) for the sub part, and a coax car hifi chassis for mid/high range, saves space...

I think that a closed volume would allow me a smaller enclosure size (remember the EQ), which is ultimately the way to go for me...

Bye,

Arndt
Old 17th September 2003, 10:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

On a small two-way speaker using Dynaudio drivers (not at all known to be very efficient !!) I didn't glue in the port tubes. They just fit snug and can be easily removed.

As a demo I sometimes used to remove the tubes to get a boomy misalignment (I guess ahump of about 6 dB). The resulting mid-to upper bass was quite loud (you should have seen the faces !!). I think you could do something like that (boom-box alignment) together with a "sub"-sonic filter.
The quality of bass wouldn't be very high but there would be quite some quantity of boomy bass. I think that is what most people expect from a ghetto blaster.

You could of course as well build a high-quality Ghetto Blaster but the efforts would be much larger (and be more stunning of course).

Regards

Charles
Old 17th September 2003, 01:32 PM   #5
ksl is offline ksl  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ksl
a PVC tube could look good like the JVC boomblaster
Old 17th September 2003, 01:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Cool project

I've been threatening to do the same thing myself for quite some time. Costs, aside my vision included a CD player (maybe the Daisy kit) and a tuner. I thought it might be fun do do a folded or coiled TL and put some of the less sensitive parts inside the TL. Since I know little of TL's yet, I'm not sure how it would effect the performance, but it's food for thought. The other thing I thought could work well was NiCad or NiMh battery power supply and built in quick charger, this would cost a little more than a really good PS, but you get the advantages of the "ideal" battery PS and portability.

I think the GB is a highly overlooked part of DIY, maybe we could start a trend.

Chris
Old 17th September 2003, 01:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I've built once a portable. I used Panasonic minicomponents and Blaupunkt amp. The case is out of 1/2" MDF and drivers are Seas or Audax IIRC. Although a bit heavy it was better than any commercial units available at the time. This was also before GC madness

I was also contemplating building another unit with better components and chassis made of honey comb material used for aircraft floor panels. I have a nice Alpine deck, Pioneer CD player which would fit nicely here and the amp would use GC technology.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port.jpg (35.9 KB, 611 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th September 2003, 02:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
Let me be just a little bit of a ***** here and give my usual advice:

DIPOLE!!! Seriously, a couple of 5"-7" high xmax drivers in a push-pull configuration, with a couple of small, cheap soft-dome tweeters... you would be able to play for an audience of 100 by just setting the thing down in the middle of the room! It would be larger than the average boombox, but you could use electronic falloff compensation instead of the usual method of a high-Q driver with a resonant frequency beneath the -3 point... This would give nice, tight bass in a small space, and when you're pushing those high xmax 6" drivers to their limits, it really is a substantial amount of bass.

Dang. Now I want to build one too. And I have no money to do so! Waah!
Old 17th September 2003, 02:23 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you want to do it the easy way, buy a Bose Wave Radio and a Radio Shack portable CD player and duct tape them together. You'll notice that people will avoid eye contact and leave you strictly alone.

It does help to actually wet your pants while you're walking around. Prevents muggings.
Old 17th September 2003, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Quote:
Originally posted by ksl
a PVC tube could look good like the JVC boomblaster
Yeah, actually I think it was from JVC, and it was a tube, with the bass drivers looking out of both ends of the tube...

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I've built once a portable.
Actually I made a bet with myself that you would show up with something you've already build

Although I have a spare Onkyo amp lying around, it is the normal big size, so wouldn't suit my project well...
But...

I could rip out the amp part...
And then use my spare End Millenium module for bass...

But actually that would be a little be over the top...

But thanks for input so far...

Bye,

Arndt

Hide this!Advertise here!