Build or not to build - $300-500 budget - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2012, 05:06 AM   #1
sasav is offline sasav  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Build or not to build - $300-500 budget

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing a second build. My 1st build was Recession Buster kit. I also built couple of subwoofers and infinite baffle. So I am not totally new. I am very good with electronics and ok with wood working.
My budget is 300 which can be stretched to 500 if really needed. I need 2 speakers for music only, mostly metal genre. Ideally I would want to be able to use them without sub, but if needed I dont mind adding sub.
So my dilemma is: Build or Buy

Based on my research, this is what I am thinking:
Build:
-Nathalie P
-Statement monitors

Buy:
-Behringer TRUTH B2031A sounds like a good deal - I will be getting decent speakers with 2 channel amplifiers in each speaker

I am looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks!
Old 4th January 2012, 05:23 AM   #2
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

At such a low budget - buy.

Powered *quality* subwoofers on the other hand represents an "inverse" of this response. It's cheaper to build better, though still not cheap. (..it's cheaper to buy *cheap* subs though.)
Old 4th January 2012, 06:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is your budget including subwoofer? Or you're willing to spend separate and extra for that?

If you really want to crank metal you should have something with high sensitivity and AT LEAST a 10" woofer. The Behringers won't fill that jones without a sub, and the kits you mention are not high sensitivity. They should play loud, but they will not CRANK METAL (my opinion as a speaker engineer and dyed-in-the-wool metalhead). I think I'd be pointing you to something with one of those 96 dB Audax mids and horn (one of my future pipe dreams!). But I confess not to know an exact design or budget.

What is the rest of your system like? Powered monitors are not usually integrated into home systems. Not impossible, but unusual.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

2*$100 comp. drivers, 2*$100++ 10-12" woofers..
+ sub or third LF way [m.b. later] separate and extra for that..

Last edited by Flaesh; 4th January 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 4th January 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I think I second that idea. Parts Express has some affordable horns, or Eminence builds some coax models. To really blast metal you need a more PA-style design than the style of models you noted.
Old 4th January 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
sasav is offline sasav  United States
diyAudio Member

head_unit,Flaesh,ScottG,

Thanks for suggestions!

I should've mentioned this in my original post: my budget is for 2 channels only.
In case of build my budget is for speakers and filters only, wood I already have.
Sub may come later, I aslo have one unused.

Even though I am capable of designing my own speakers, I don't have time for this right now, so can you suggest any good DIY design given my requirements?

Alex
Old 4th January 2012, 04:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

my own speakers are built-in my own flat.. i remake them sometimes - without boxes and with active crossing and measurements it's not difficult .. but i havn't exact project ..
if you whant high eff. speakers - there's a lot of info on this forum and in the web but not all are cheap..
search ''econowave project" for example..

p.s.: !. look at kits Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance by Wayne Parham

Last edited by Flaesh; 4th January 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 4th January 2012, 05:17 PM   #8
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

Curt's Sten II MTM Speaker Kit - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store

$139 with crossovers, four 6 inch woofers and two tweeters--use the rest of the money to buy a BIC 12" sub for around $200?

Or, you can build the Stenorians which use six of those 6" woofers for each speaker--that will give you real output.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

just installed 1.4" (3" diaph.) $20 china drivers (Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers?) in modified to 1.4" 2380A , ~600+ hz crossed . it's work.
Old 4th January 2012, 09:59 PM   #10
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
just installed 1.4" (3" diaph.) $20 china drivers (Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers?) in modified to 1.4" 2380A , ~600+ hz crossed . it's work.
Nice find!

Hide this!Advertise here!