Build or not to build - $300-500 budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am thinking of doing a second build. My 1st build was Recession Buster kit. I also built couple of subwoofers and infinite baffle. So I am not totally new. I am very good with electronics and ok with wood working.
My budget is 300 which can be stretched to 500 if really needed. I need 2 speakers for music only, mostly metal genre. Ideally I would want to be able to use them without sub, but if needed I dont mind adding sub.
So my dilemma is: Build or Buy

Based on my research, this is what I am thinking:
Build:
-Nathalie P
-Statement monitors

Buy:
-Behringer TRUTH B2031A sounds like a good deal - I will be getting decent speakers with 2 channel amplifiers in each speaker

I am looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks!

Is your budget including subwoofer? Or you're willing to spend separate and extra for that?

If you really want to crank metal you should have something with high sensitivity and AT LEAST a 10" woofer. The Behringers won't fill that jones without a sub, and the kits you mention are not high sensitivity. They should play loud, but they will not CRANK METAL (my opinion as a speaker engineer and dyed-in-the-wool metalhead). I think I'd be pointing you to something with one of those 96 dB Audax mids and horn (one of my future pipe dreams!). But I confess not to know an exact design or budget.

What is the rest of your system like? Powered monitors are not usually integrated into home systems. Not impossible, but unusual.

head_unit,Flaesh,ScottG,

Thanks for suggestions!

I should've mentioned this in my original post: my budget is for 2 channels only.
In case of build my budget is for speakers and filters only, wood I already have.
Sub may come later, I aslo have one unused.

Even though I am capable of designing my own speakers, I don't have time for this right now, so can you suggest any good DIY design given my requirements?

Alex

my own speakers are built-in my own flat.. i remake them sometimes :D - without boxes and with active crossing and measurements it's not difficult :cool:.. but i havn't exact project :(..
if you whant high eff. speakers - there's a lot of info on this forum and in the web but not all are cheap..
search ''econowave project" for example..

p.s.: !:). look at kits Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance by Wayne Parham

Last edited:
don't know shipping cost from China to US.
very few Chinese vendors sell for 2 drivers.

m.b. "clones" of b&c, rcf etc. is prohibited in US?

"clones" aren't, but if it violates patent law then it's possible for a restraining order to compel the importer to deny it entry in the US.

Chances are though that it doesn't violate any patent (..compression drivers have been around for a long time, and a patent holder needs to have some new process or design that is being copied), and that even if it did - the patent holder must both be aware of the violation and seek the restraining order (or some form of recompense).

Last edited:
for sasav; cheap and documented :) : Drift Recipe
personally i definetly preferring normal comp. driver in cd horn crossed about 1k or lower..
The Eminence Legend B-102 is one of the best woofers in town. Congrat.
I know this from my previous tested simulations I show here.

EMINENCE LEGEND BP102, VB = 96.7 L, FB = 25.3 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 91.9 dB2.83Vm.
F3=36 Hz, F6=26 Hz, F12=19 Hz

Attachments

• EMINENCE LEGEND BP102, VB = 96.7 L, FB = 25.3 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 91.9 dB2.83Vm. F3=36 Hz, .gif
    EMINENCE LEGEND BP102, VB = 96.7 L, FB = 25.3 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 91.9 dB2.83Vm. F3=36 Hz, .gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.