SonusFaber Signum mis-aligned voicecoil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any forum member having any experience with the following, I recently bought a set of SonusFaber Signums. Unfortunately one of the mid-woofs' voicecoils is mis aligned i.e. not centered well. I don't know what could have caused that, it might be from the beginning and the previous owner missed it, I would not see tht happening over time. Issue is how to fix it. The gap at 12 o'clock is as good as closed, the gap at 6 o'clock is double the width practically. Hence the woofer scrapes, which (to me at least) is quite audible.
I could imagine to loosen the magnet, center it and fix it in place but I have no idea if such would be possible at all. Woofer replacement with a brand like SF seems an expensive adventure. I did write the Dutch importer and am awaiting a response, but I can only fear that won't become a free lunch...

Anyone? Cheers Leonard

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sounds like it's been dropped and the motor has shifted. If the magnet is glued or riveted on, (very likely with a domestic driver) then it's likely non-repairable. If it's a pro driver with bolt on motor, it might be fixable, but you'll need to strip out the old cone to do the job properly, then do a recone afterwards, if you can get a recone kit that is. Sorry.

I had a similar experience with another Sonus Faber speaker. During inspection of the driver it was apparent that the die cast basket was cracked. Cracked baskets are not uncommon. It can happen if the speaker is dropped during transport - those die cast baskets don't have much impact resistance.

I received a matched pair of replacements from the local agents - they kindly paid for one of the drivers although the speaker was dropped by my transport contractor. Despite the fact that the driver was custom made for Sonus Faber, the price of the replacement part was entirely reasonable.

Is one of the mid-bass off-centered?

Attachments

• sonus faber signum_003B.jpg
    sonus faber signum_003B.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 69
  • sonus faber signum_cone off centerjpg.jpg
    sonus faber signum_cone off centerjpg.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 66
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.