Foster tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about something like this and an L-pad on the tweeter?

10" Square Frame Paper Cone Woofer White 290-910

I'm trying to avoid the use of a subwoofer. The Eminence drivers above would be great but i'm concerned they won't provided enough bass in bookshelf sized speakers. I do agree the Alpha 8 and 10 were my first logical choices... i may end up with one of them but wanted to explore other drivers that might be less expensive.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How about something like this and an L-pad on the tweeter?

10" Square Frame Paper Cone Woofer White 290-910

I'm trying to avoid the use of a subwoofer. The Eminence drivers above would be great but i'm concerned they won't provided enough bass in bookshelf sized speakers. I do agree the Alpha 8 and 10 were my first logical choices... i may end up with one of them but wanted to explore other drivers that might be less expensive.
Although at "bookshelf" SPL level you could get away crossing lower than 3.5K, the horn does not sound particularly good down low.
The driver you list has an upper response of 3.5K, it may have "problems" in that area.
Getting a speaker that plays well from 30-40 Hz to around 3.5K usually is pretty expensive.
I recommended the Alphas because I use a lot of them, the midrange is good sounding and they are smooth down to the low rolloff, an Alpha 6 would get you down to the 100 Hz range.
I'd be inclined to go with a known good sounding mid cone and a cheap sub below the pair.

Easy to spend someone else's money:D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.