Questions concerning DIY studio monitors!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I got a friend with a great music interest and he has now decided to start producing some of his own music. To do this properly he need a pair of monitors with an accurate sound rendering. He got a tip from a friend of the Behringer B2031A TRUTH (BEHRINGER B2031A TRUTH - Thomann UK Cyberstore) and the sound interface M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO (M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO - Thomann UK Cyberstore). But me as a newly engaged DIY'er I would love to build a pair of speakers for him. Both so I could get some practice and so he could get a great pair of speakers. I started looking at this speaker kit from PE (Dayton Audio UA701CCK Usher Speaker Kit Curved Cherry 302-953) powered with an inbuilt amp (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices). I find these speaker much more artistic and if the sound could be comparable, or of course better, I think both me and my friend would be willing to give it a try so what do you guys think? Could it be a good idea?

I strongly advise you to get the Behringers. The drivers in the DIY kit may be more exotic, but it's not going to make the difference in the end. The Behringers are an extremely good value and regardless of price, they perform very well. They're very well designed and their directivity pattern is pretty good. If you have extensive knowledge, it's possible to surpass their performance. As for value for money, I think it's impossible to get even close with DIY.

Last edited:
Hi! I got a friend with a great music interest and he has now decided to start producing some of his own music. To do this properly...

But me as a newly engaged DIY'er I would love to build a pair of speakers for him. Both so I could get some practice and so he could get a great pair...
Not nice (and not very professional) because he will get your first mistakes.;)

Haha thanks for the advice guys. Your probably right! Guess my dreams of seeing my own creation on someone else desktop must wait a little while! But then I will recommend the Behringer for him as well, I listened to them the other day and I had to admit that they sounded great!

Haha thanks for the advice guys. Your probably right! Guess my dreams of seeing my own creation on someone else desktop must wait a little while! But then I will recommend the Behringer for him as well, I listened to them the other day and I had to admit that they sounded great!
You can ask questions, like, if that's what is looking for (if he's happy) or, if he knows about coaxial and full ranges (and different types of speakers like closed box and BR)?
Look at Avantone Mix Cubes

Last edited:
Imo it's near impossible to diy a budget studio monitor at a the same price and quality as the current manufacture can.

The Adam A3x are my favorites>
ADAM A3X - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Bit cheaper B stock>
ADAM A3X B-STOCK - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Even cheaper Samson Rubicon R5A B stock>
SAMSON RUBICON R5A B-STOCK - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Behringer B3030A Truth are also surprisingly good>
BEHRINGER B3030A TRUTH - Thomann UK Cyberstore

A sub to complement them would be welcome>
SAMSON RESOLV SUB 120A SUBWOOFER - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Thomann has 30 day no ******** money back policy and a 3 year warranty.
I buy all kind of stuff from them and never had any problem with their service.

Trivial Issue

Hi! I got a friend with a great music interest and he has now decided to start producing some of his own music. To do this properly he need a pair of monitors with an accurate sound rendering. He got a tip from a friend of the Behringer B2031A TRUTH (BEHRINGER B2031A TRUTH - Thomann UK Cyberstore) and the sound interface M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO (M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO - Thomann UK Cyberstore). But me as a newly engaged DIY'er I would love to build a pair of speakers for him. Both so I could get some practice and so he could get a great pair of speakers. I started looking at this speaker kit from PE (Dayton Audio UA701CCK Usher Speaker Kit Curved Cherry 302-953) powered with an inbuilt amp (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices). I find these speaker much more artistic and if the sound could be comparable, or of course better, I think both me and my friend would be willing to give it a try so what do you guys think? Could it be a good idea?

Enjoy yourself and build some good kit loudspeakers. You both have a learning curve to deal with in putting together a recording studio and then using it. The acoustics of the recording space sill have a greater influence on sound quality than the monitor speakers you put into a control room. Quality of the microphones, headphones and effects processor you use will be more important to the success of your effort. Before you start pressing CD’s for the first time, do the mix-down at a professional studio and compare the results with what you did on your own.

Regards,

WHG

Hi,
I would recommend the B2031P BEHRINGER B2031P TRUTH - Thomann UK Cyberstore and at least 2 (3 or 4 even) BEHRINGER B2092A SUBWOOFER - Thomann UK Cyberstore to get a much better LF than any single subwoofer! You can put one of the driver reversed with the magnet on the outside and reverse its polarity it will decrease the THD and make a better mechanical system.
Then when you are comfortable with the implementation of the whole thing, start to improve step by step:
1 - Buy Microphone and start playing with REW (REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page) to get familiar with measurements and block the vents of the mains.
2 - Go active and replace the internal Xover with a Home | miniDSP that can also sort a better EQ (6 – 12K needs taming) and a second-hand AV receiver with 5.1 analogue input for 4 channels amps + preamp + RC ;-)
3 - Buy another miniDSP or a FBQ2496 to EQ your subs with REW
4 – Buy a MiniDIGI and an Apple Airport Express + Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Windows: Wireless Audio Around Your House to play with DRC (DRC: Digital Room Correction)
5 – End up with a truly extra ordinary system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.