Altec 816 copies with different woofer and wood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RCA has never had much market penetration down here in Hotlanta, but I'm familiar with the Ubangi, if that's what you're referring to. A fine performer and as you know, a step up from the Altecs.

Went to the Ocean website, but no pics of the install, just a partial of the old A2s in Studio B.

Don't know of any 18" RCA systems.

Patent #?

TIA,

GM

Here I think is one of the 1" horn with a 2001 TAD mounted on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 261
A fine performer and as you know, a step up from the Altecs.

Only in appearance. Mind you some of us find them a bit girly looking. ;)

Greg,
Didn't RCA just take a lot the good Altec stuff, add their own flavour and dress it up a bit? The Ubangi is a 210 or 211. They have the one that resembles an A7 (attached)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 12.24.07 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 12.24.07 PM.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 226
turbodawg,
That is not the enclosure that I remember at all. The ones I have seen are two 15" speakers side by side with the radial horn lens. Much different than an Altec or old JBL. Don't forget that all JBL drivers were originally copies of Altec as James B. Lansing was a part of the original All Technical Devices which became Altec-Lansing Inc.
The RCA enclosure had a much better dispersion pattern than any of the A7 or A2 or A4 enclosures. By then JBL and Altec pretty much owned the movie theater business. I know that the RCA cabinet is still in some recording studios but I don't think you are going to see an A7 in a soffit application.

CAl,
Yes that is the Ubangi that I recall though for some reason I thought that the drivers were side by side. Definitely an improvement on the A7 enclosure in the horn section. I think that I have seen them like people are talking about with the reflex sections removed. A sub is used for the bottom end and this cabinet is used with a nice horn, possibly an older Altec or JBL but most likely a TAD driver on the top end. I remember when I could buy a TAD for $500.00 a world of difference from what they want now. That EV horn looks like an old Altec 311 horn lens with the sectoral sections removed.

Cal,
Very cool retro pictures and description. I made a set of radial bass horns with a cross between the two A7 and Ubangi. They had the two drivers side by side and were of a radial horn design. The mouth cutoff on the 2-15" model was 75hz. They did sound awesome for the time. That was 1976 if I remember correctly. I'll post an old picture when I can find it, you can look at all the different models we created. The lenses themselves were molded polyurethane foam and made to look like an Anvil case at the time with handles and aluminum edging. Those were the days.

Only in appearance. Mind you some of us find them a bit girly looking. ;)

Greg,
Didn't RCA just take a lot the good Altec stuff, add their own flavour and dress it up a bit? The Ubangi is a 210 or 211. They have the one that resembles an A7 (attached)

Well, to me it sounded better overall than my 210s, which considering I prefer the 515 to whatever RCA drivers were installed in the Ubangi, I thought it was impressive enough to get serious about trying to deal with the 210's parallel wall reflections.

Yes, the Ubangi is a bi-radial like the 511's, 811's shape in front of their initial conic flare, which RCA also used on some of their large HF horns.

The LC-9A is clearly audibly/technically superior to the A7 series. I completely lost interest in my A7-500s after auditioning one and was in the process of designing a clone adapted to Altec drivers and experimenting with PRs when the 210s, etc. became available at a giveaway price.

It's still a project I'd still like to do except with more modern Altec drivers and a different PR scheme if life wasn't so short, so seriously doubt it will ever happen.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.