Crossover impedances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I have purchased a Dayton crossover (2000Hz) which is designed for an 8Ohm tweeter. I didn't realise the tweeter I purchased is only 4 ohms. What are the implications of hooking these up? I currently have it running and it sounds fine.

Does it change the crossover point? I'm assuming the fix is to wire a 4 ohm resister before the tweeter?

Thanks for the reply Allen. It's a second order Linkwitz-Riley arrangement if that helps. Would you suggest running a resistor in series with the tweeter to bring it to 8Ohms?

Also, I've heard that if you use a 4ohm woofer on a crossover designed for 8 ohm woofer this affects the crossover frequency? Is this true?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The effect of a second order type of crossover will be the same way above and below the crossover point, with just a change in level near the crossover point when the impedance is not as designed for.

A first order filter will cause the rolloff to happen at a different frequency, an actual shift. In the case of a pair of 4 ohm drivers with a generic 8 ohm style crossover, the responses will cut off away from the crossover point encouraging a hole in the response.

You asked about using a resistor, if you do it will make the tweeter more quiet. If this is needed then go ahead. It will also alter the response a little. If you don't need your tweeter reduced in level, then I wouldn't do this.

If you do notice a problem with a lack of lower treble, you could play with increasing the tweeter capacitance by clipping another capacitor in parallel with the one you have. This will partially compensate for the problem, but a lot depends on a lot of things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.