Magical upper mid driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in a smallish midrange that has low distortion and good frequency response extending well into tweeter territory... around the 5k mark. Guess metal cones are out...

The Seas Excel 5" poly-cone looks promising. Any other contenders I should take a look at?

SY said:
I'd look at the 100mm Audax aerogel. I don't remember the number offhand, but they've got one with an f3 of something like 300 Hz that has a great upper midrange sound. HM100Z0, maybe?

Hi,

Here is the HM100Z2. Disadvantage of 10 cm speakers is their relative low efficiency. You can better go for the HM130Z10 or eventually the HM130Z12. These have a very smooth roll-off at the upper end and are also modest priced.

Cheers ;)

What about Vifa.

Hi RHosch,
The Vifa P13W can go a bit lower than 300 Hz and does go up and beyond 5 KHz. In fact it is probably a good unit to be used in a 1st order crossover system. You will hav eto find a matching tweeter. I think a Vifa tweeter crossed over at 5K or higher could also possibly manage a 1 st order filter - but I think there are others better in this application.
If the Vifa had cost much more I guess more people would look at it ! It's not the best, but really great value for money.
Cheers.

Yes... I'm looking for something appropriate with a 1st order crossover. Obviously, a low XO point for the tweeter is a serious problem, so I need a mid that blends well with low distortion in that ~5kHz range... naturally, I also need a tweeter to compliment, but those seem to be a bit easier to find.

Efficiency isn't really a concern, nor is low end response. This design is leaning towards a 4-way, due to the 1st order filters, so there will be a woofer ready to take over as the frequency drops below ~1kHz.

All very rough and conceptual ATM, just trying to make a thorough survey of candidate drivers to evaluate just what my options really are. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Hi SY,

Thought de HM130Z0 was not in production anymore?

Don’t think the dispersion makes such a difference in a real speaker set-up. At the moment I am using 17 cm HDA’s x-overed at 2.5 KHz and this combo has a quite wide sweetspot. I can walk through my room and the speakers themselves are hardly locatable at different places off the sweetspot.

Advantage of 13cm’s are higher power handling and less IMD. The newer Audax 13cm can be 6dB filtered and I am thinking of using them without filtering at all. Have still two HM130Z4’s in their carton but no time to try them out :bawling:

Filtering tweeters at 6dB/okt is not a wise idea IMHO. It is for sure NO NO with ribbons. This will severely limit power handling and raise distortion a lot at higher levels, even x-overed at 5 KHz.

Cheers ;)

Pjotr: I had a similar setup, two HM170Z0s crossed over at 2.5K. Worked great, just as you say. Terrific imaging. Now scale wavelength and frequency and you can see that to get the same dispersion at the 5kHz xover point, you'd want an 85mm cone.

I don't know if the '100Z0 is in production or not (I sure hope it still is), but it does seem to be available for purchase. 93 dB sensitivity. Sweet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.