need help with wiring tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2011, 07:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

i will probly move to the pa forum, the only thing i will be doing differnet than the AR's is using only high tweeters and no mids, so 8 tweeters at a 4 ohm load per box and then a 12 in the center, i could go with the mids as well but ill just stick to using lots of highs and the 12.
Old 25th December 2011, 08:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I do want to build my own speakers, my subs are passive. right now I have 2x b-52 220s in behringer 1800x cases powered by a bridged Behringer ep4000, later i will be getting a Qsc plx 3602 to power the 2 subs bridged, will be getting many more subs in the future. I am doing the passive sub route because its cheaper for me. I am doing active mains route because its easier, saves rack space and i like building my own things.
Old 25th December 2011, 11:39 PM   #13
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just putting in my 2c here. A compression driver/horn combo can easily sound as good as a dome. They are also easier to match to the woofer and don't have this impedance issue.

The point, and where you might make the improvement.. why do your horns sound so harsh? Are they tuned that way to reach long distances, or tuned that way to fill a room without enough units to provide coverage? or are they just poor quality horns with bad drivers, maybe piezo drivers which sometimes have a response rougher than a bread knife?
Old 27th December 2011, 01:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

We throw bush partys... soo its a combo of things really.

Stupid djs who like to try and max my gear out.
And stupid dancers who like to cuddle my speakers.

Now this becomes a really bad combo when the stupid dj, blasts the horns in the stupid dancers face and they're ears are ring'n the next day.

To solve this problem, we're making a stage "think about this from the front" with a center sub, with another sub on each side of it (3 center subs) across the front of the stage, we're going to take our 15's with horns and put them on the far sides and back a bit, so they're far enough away from the subs/people, so everyone can hear things at good distance... But we also want something for up close.

Thats where these come in, we want to put a box with like 4-8 of these dome tweets in them, turned down to decent levels, to stack ontop of the subs, on a pole mount, so retarded people can dance in front of them all night and not hurt their little ignorant ears, from the bad dj who might be throwing too much highs in, cuz he can't hear it and doesn't know how to turn up the monitor speakers pointed right at him.

We just want better "close range" listening highs, we have a pair of "krk rokit8s" and the dome speakers on those sound WAY better then both our peaveys horns and our samson horns (Both 15s with horns)

So why wouldn't a box with 4-8 of those dome tweets sound good? Its not that our horns sound bad, its that the domes sound better, at close range.

Hide this!Advertise here!