6L Sealed Enclosure - 6.5" Woofers! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2011, 11:20 PM   #11
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloxy View Post
Even though my plan was to go sealed theres some that have recommended me to go bass reflex.
Good in theory, although for one thing if you are going to be tuning it to a higher frequency like you may be here, the power handling due to cone excursion could possibly give you worse results than sealed.

The other issue is that with a lossy cabinet, you may have trouble tuning it, especially without measuring it, and the closed would be more tolerant of this.

Quote:
My main goal was to build a speaker that could give VERY nice punchy bass!
If by punchy, you mean it has a clear and weighted strike, then this is an upper bass/lower midrange issue. If by punchy you mean you feel it in your gut, then you'll be compromising no matter which driver you choose.

Quote:
Being able to play loud would also be cool! For that reason, I believe 90db (1w/1m) is a minimum require?
Sorry, this only relates to how much amplifier power it takes to get a certain amount of sound out of these. Playing loud is about how much air the cones can move, and it is also greater if you can control the bass.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Veloxy is offline Veloxy  Sweden
diyAudio Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH I BELIEVE... I HAVE FOUND THE LEGENDARY WOOFER!

seriously, I have spent more than 5 hours each day, for more than a month searching for the best possible setup and I finally BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND IT!

The speaker thats gonna be working in a 12L enclosure... IS:

ScanSpeak 18w/4434G00-04

this one is 4 ohm, which is perfect! around 7" AAAANNDD it will deliver in a small bass reflex enclosure! 91dB sensitivity is GOODISH
Old 20th December 2011, 03:08 PM   #13
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
It's not 91dB sensitive, it's more like 88db... They gave the sensitivity rating based on 2.83V, which is used for 8ohm speakers. When you use the same 2.83V to figure sensativity on something other than an 8Ohm speaker, what you are getting is USPL as the resulting specification (normalized result for a specific voltage, rather than power level).

Proper sensitivity ratings (1W@1M) for a 4 ohm speaker needs to be taken at 2.0V.

--------------------------

What about putting a single 8" DVC woofer in the middle, crossed over to some full range 2-3" drivers on either side of it? , then maybe use some heavily padded piezos for above ~8-10K. Just an idea

Otherwise I think I would suggest sound reinforcement type mid-woofers on either side to get more efficiency from.

--------------------------

I just looked up the amp6 on 41hz's website. No specifications given for their amps (maybe you have to dig through their forums to find em?)... Either way I haven't the motivation or care to "dig" for the answer. If you could just tell me what sort of amplification capabilities the amp6 has, that would at least help me make better driver suggestions.

Eric

Last edited by mdocod; 20th December 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

i dont know if this fits you but what about pro woofers + a 8" sub ?

http://www.eighteensound.com/

if you could go to a 8" woofer this looks good

http://www.eighteensound.com/index.a...roduct&pid=313

mdocod idea is very good too

Last edited by lduarte1973; 20th December 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 04:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The BoomCase© by Mr. Simo | Vintage Suitcase BoomBoxes this is basicly what I want to build. So it has to be quite light weight also...

The amp6 delivers 25W in stereo for each channel when using 4 ohm speakers...

What do you mean by sound reinforcement type mid-woofers?
Old 20th December 2011, 04:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

my enclosure looks pretty close to this one The BoomCase Store / BriefBox. I should note that its a hard case so I doubt its gonna vibrate much at all...
The difference is that he has gone sealed, although I am thinking of going bass reflex using the ScanSpeak 18w/4434G00-04 perhaps incase I cannot find anything better! I been thinking of having the port at the bottom of the case.

Last edited by Veloxy; 20th December 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 06:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
It's not 91dB sensitive, it's more like 88db... They gave the sensitivity rating based on 2.83V, which is used for 8ohm speakers. When you use the same 2.83V to figure sensativity on something other than an 8Ohm speaker, what you are getting is USPL as the resulting specification (normalized result for a specific voltage, rather than power level).

Eric
Does it matter? Most amps are voltage drive anyway.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mentioning this brand will cause some to cringe, but if you want good "party bass" in other words, bass that's punchy & powerful but also reaches reasonably low so it can be punchy & powerful, for decades I have noticed that Cerwin-Vega's speakers, even their largest models with 15" woofers in 4 cu/ft ported enclosures, almost never have useful output below @40Hz. There's a reason so many people buy them for that one purpose, and if you've ever heard them properly set-up*, you know that their bass is clean i.e. boom-free and has that "fun" quality that can hit you in the chest out on a living room's improvised dance floor, even with smallish amps. Admittedly not great for pipe organ music but for Led Zeppelin, De La Soul and Lady Gaga.....

* this does not include dorm rooms where the speakers have been pushed into the corners of the room and the bass control on the stressed-out and clipping $200 receiver has been turned to "max" and the loudness circuit activated
Old 21st December 2011, 01:09 AM   #19
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
Hello Veloxy,

By sound reinforcement driver, I mean drivers that have been built with characteristics that lend themselves to high efficiency, low distortion, and usually aggressive power handling capabilities, often, those characteristics will come at the expense of bottom end extension, and in the case of less expensive reinforcement drivers, often also at the expensive of flatness.

As it turns out, since this style of driver, is generally marketed towards portable loudspeakers for use in live performances, many of them are available with light weight designs utilizing neodymium magnets and light weight basket construction.

This driver is a great example of a mid-woofer that would do well as a "boom box" portable party in a suitcase speaker: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=294-647

It models nicely in 4-6L vented boxes per driver, making it ideal for this... Plan on spending 2L of box space on the vent, (I came up with 3.5" x 10.5" port size, which would probably wind up consuming about 2L)... Such a build delivers an F3 of ~80hz and an F10 around 60hz. This is technically low enough to present itself as having some bottom end, but it's nothing special.

At 10WPC you can count on ~105dB or better listening levels at 1 meter.

------

Hello 454,

I'm under the impression that this is a portable unit here where actual power efficiency may very well come into play as being important. The suitcase style units I have seen usually have a built in rechargeable power supply, and even if that's not the case here, improving efficiency means the design can get away with a smaller power supply for the amp anyways.

Last edited by mdocod; 21st December 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 21st December 2011, 01:15 AM   #20
pski is offline pski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
Hello Veloxy,

By sound reinforcement driver, I mean drivers that have been built with characteristics that lend themselves to high efficiency, low distortion, and usually aggressive power handling capabilities, often, those characteristics will come at the expense of bottom end extension, and in the case of less expensive reinforcement drivers, often also at the expensive of flatness.

As it turns out, since this style of driver, is generally marketed towards portable loudspeakers for use in live performances, many of them are available with light weight designs utilizing neodymium magnets and light weight basket construction.

This driver is a great example of a mid-woofer that would do well as a "boom box" portable party in a suitcase speaker: B&C 6NDL44 6-1/2" Neodymium Woofer 294-647

It models nicely in 4-6L vented boxes per driver, making it ideal for this... Plan on spending 2L of box space on the vent, (I came up with 3.5" x 10.5" port size, which would probably wind up consuming about 2L)... Such a build delivers an F3 of ~80hz and an F10 around 60hz. This is technically low enough to present itself as having some bottom end, but it's nothing special.

At 10WPC you can count on ~105dB or better listening levels at 1 meter.

------

Hello 454,

I'm under the impression that this is a portable unit here where actual power efficiency may very well come into play as being important. The suitcase style units I have seen usually have a built in rechargeable power supply, and even if that's not the case here, improving efficiency means the design can get away with a smaller power supply for the amp anyways.
FR of 70-6000Hz is not what I would call bass. If you like Bose, go for it.

P

Hide this!Advertise here!