Opinions on e-speakers PHL kit and fishies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at ES-1240-ESg2-MTM Project. Search hasn't turned up too much on it, though plenty of good things said regarding both PHL and ESG. I'm also wondering whether espeakers is selling said kit anymore as I no longer see EsG being sold on the site. Also taking suggestions on any MTM kits that utilise ribbons/planars, trying to keep things under $1300. I was thinking of 4 Vifa PL's+ SA8535 (at thylantr's recommendation) per side, but this would be my first DIY speaker project and fear that although I may be able to design a flat xover network, I may not be able to design a GOOD one.

Finally, thinking of incorporating a small neoned-out fish tank atop each tower. Could this negatively effect acoustics? Any recommendations on how to do this? I'm thinking make the top of the tower plexi with the neon light under it firing up into the tank with plexi on all sides with plastic top. Problem would be if I needed to move the towers and empty the tanks. I think I would need to syphon the water out, which I don't really want to do because I don't really want to find out what fish poo tastes like? How often are fish tanks needing a cleaning?

I no longer see EsG being sold on the site.

Esg = Aurum Cantus, aka, the 'G' drivers.

http://www.e-speakers.com/products/ac-ribbons.html

"We are very proud to present the Aurum Cantus pure ribbon tweeters. From now on we will use the factory appellation on all models insted of the ESg brand name."

SA8535

I love this tweeter, but the price
tag is heavy and it's not mechanically
as user friendly as other tweeters.

$600 ea.

There are no mounting holes, only
two slots. Either you have to be
creative on mounting using the slots
or you have to recess the tweeter.

The Griffin Loudspeaker uses the
SA driver with a custom faceplate
shown here.

http://www.griffinspeaker.com/

For me, I'm building custom enclosure
instead of just a single faceplate. Expensive to do so.

Last, the electrical terminals, positive
and negative are on the front of the
driver, I had to modify the electrical
to the rear and remove those terminals.

If this is your first DIY project, working
with this driver can be painfull - you
should order copper beryllium screw
drivers (flat head and phillips) otherwise the uber-magnet will give
you grief - I actually damaged my
diaphram because I used a normal
screwdriver - the force of the magnet
is unreal.

It's a beast of a driver, I love the sonics
but hate the mechanics.

custom enclosure pics.
http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/speaker/photo.html

Another idea would be to mate one
of the 'Esg' tweeters with a single
PHL 10" midrange, ask Andre from
e-speakers about this option.

Ralph said:
and the 1240, is it any good?

I haven't listened to that particular
one, but Maddog on Madisound.com
forum is working with them now.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?read=268728

I only tried PHL 1120, 1660, 2520,
the high sensitivity models. The 3450
series looks interestiing..

The 1240 is more like a woofer/midrange
not pure midrange like those I mention
above, different application.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As far as the fish tank. The only sane way is to have it removable.
How about having a second thickness on top of the speakers, but about 1/4" smaller in every direction. You could then have the base of the tank recessed a bit so it fits over and locks in place.
But, reallly I think that you could just make it exactly the same size as the speakers and set it on top and it would look like one piece. Also, when the fish die and you get bored with the idea,
you can just take it off and you will have regular speakers.

Hmm, does seem to be quite a difficult novelty, though I really do want some eye candy on the speakers as I'll be having a lot of parties and want to ever so slightly have a club atmosphere. How would a heavy ribbon like the ESg2 respond to being mounted on plexi? Thinking of doing the midsection of the towers in plexi (~4" to each side of ribbon and ~2" above and below), though I'd imagine that flush mounting would be difficult...

BabaBooey said:
Thinking of doing the midsection of the towers in plexi (~4" to each side of ribbon and ~2" above and below), though I'd imagine that flush mounting would be difficult...

I did baffles out of acrylic and it's very easy to machine. All the tools for wood, apply here and with a router you can make a flush mount for a tweeter.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=160300#post160300

BTW, this baffle was used for PHL1230 and Raven2 drivers.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About 1240

I have extensive experience with PHL1220. It is maybe the best cone midbass I have ever listened to. Very natural without breakups. Much much unforced detail and no hardness.
I have asked Philippe Lesage personally in 2003 Messe Frankfurt (Prolight & Sound) about the 1240 that I see the Americans use.
He told me that it was made with a phaseplug in a customary quantity only to please aesthetics. He maintained that 1220 is better because the backpressure behind the neck gives it superior power vs distortion performance. And that its carbon dustcap actually holds the neck together for far less breakup -almost no at all-. I tend to use 1220 up to 3KHz with 18dB/octave slope because there is a strong level burst out afterwards. Its uppermid sound emanating almost exclusively from its carbon cap is very transparent. Dynamics are great too.

Hope I helped a bit

Salas

Hmm. What about the 1230's and Raven kit available at Zalytron? Practically the same cost, but it comes with the R2 which seems to be less durable than is the EsG. And why would the 1220 be much better than the 1240 when, looking at zalytron's listings, the 1240 costs a bit more. Anyone heard multiple of these drivers that can give me a comparison?

Re: About 1240

salas said:
I tend to use 1220 up to 3KHz with 18dB/octave slope because there is a strong level burst out afterwards. Its uppermid sound emanating almost exclusively from its carbon cap is very transparent. Dynamics are great too.

What are you using above 3K?

I've built the Zalytron kit in a wall separating 2 rooms in a basement. The crossover is not done yet, I'm using 1230 without any filter and just a single cap in a tweeter. It seems to be crossing around 5k currently, and it sounds not bad, but it's not a match for monitors I put in front. I guess, I'll try to cross it lower, probably 3K with 2nd order filters on mids and tweeter. The acrylic baffles were used here. I can feel a signature of a plastic here;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=235509

I'm almost done with the final boxes for a combination of the 2 kits you are looking at. I'm using a PHL 1240 with a Raven 2 and used the same box design and crossover as the zalytron kit. I tested everything in a quick set of boxes (I tried a R1 as well as the R2, and the integration was no where near as good)
The woofers integrate flawlessly with the ribbon tweeter. They are fast and resolving, yet have kind of a warm organic quality that is great on lower female vocals and strings. When measured they were flat to 40hz in the larger floor standing box. I've not heard the esg, but the raven is well worth the money in my mind. Buy it and build it once. :)

About the fish tank.... lets be realistic, neon from underneath will completely screw up the fish, as they use light to know which way is up. Small tanks without a good base (gravel/sand) need to be cleaned every 1-2 weeks. If they are set up right you don't need to clean near that often. Bass will not make your fish happy at all. I would steer you away from that ave.

Dave

PS. You hit my 2 obsessions (125 gal tank) and ribbon tweeters.

Bah. Projector comes first, then audio. I'm definitely convinced that the fishies would be more trouble than they're worth. Still considering doing the area around the ribbon in plexi/neon, though, just need to think on whether it's worth taking parts of the thing apart to change the bulb. But I'm glad to hear of good opinions on the PHL's and ribbons. No one had any comments over at HTF or AVS .:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.