Opinions on e-speakers PHL kit and fishies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: About 1240

salas said:
I have extensive experience with PHL1220. It is maybe the best cone midbass I have ever listened to. Very natural without breakups. Much much unforced detail and no hardness.
I have asked Philippe Lesage personally in 2003 Messe Frankfurt (Prolight & Sound) about the 1240 that I see the Americans use.
He told me that it was made with a phaseplug in a customary quantity only to please aesthetics. He maintained that 1220 is better because the backpressure behind the neck gives it superior power vs distortion performance. And that its carbon dustcap actually holds the neck together for far less breakup -almost no at all-. I tend to use 1220 up to 3KHz with 18dB/octave slope because there is a strong level burst out afterwards. Its uppermid sound emanating almost exclusively from its carbon cap is very transparent. Dynamics are great too.

Hope I helped a bit

Salas

Do you use this driver in a 2way configuration, if so which system efficiency do you get? The driver seems happy in smaller vented enclosures with -3dB around 60Hz. In a enclosure >15l it gets underdamped. (bump in lower frequency region)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.