ewave speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ewave speakers

relatively new DIYer here...

I'm attempting to ewave my old advent speakers and I'm in the process of building the crossover. However, I've hit a snag. Part-Express doesn't have the inductor I need, and won't have it in stock until mid-January.

Does anyone have a 4.0mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor lying around that they could sell me??? or ar least know where I can buy one? (Parts-Express part# 266-562)

I need two.

Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

did you try Madisound.com
Old 11th December 2011, 03:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For the rest of us, what is "E wave" ?
I have some old original Advent speakers in the attic, what will this do to them?
Old 11th December 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In short, it's a quality upgrade. It's a way of combining newer technology and better quality with the old school speakers. The sound quality from the rebuilt speaker is supposed to be really good. I don't have mine together yet so I can't speak from experience.

The econowave revolution was lead by a user named zilch, who actually died recently. The project entails removing the old tweeter and replacing it with a wave guide and high compression driver, and building and installing a new crossover. Check out the link below. I'm close to completion and it cost me roughly $135 per speaker.

Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

Rev Up Your Vintage Speakers, Econowave Style - YouTube
Old 11th December 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Madisound.com has a 4.5 mH 18 AWG inductor. Will this work for what I'm doing? I don't want to split hairs but I want to make sure I'm buying the right part...anyone know?
Old 12th December 2011, 09:27 AM   #6
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

4.5mH is approximately 10 percent higher and you'd probably be OK. There would be a small difference.

Since this is an iron cored inductor, it has a low DC resistance. You might reach 4mH with two other larger inductors in parallel, otherwise you might use two smaller ones in series.

Last edited by AllenB; 12th December 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:17 AM   #7
MCPete is offline MCPete  United States
diyAudio Member

If you have an inductance meter you can carefully remove some of the windings to reduce the inductance to 4 mH.

Or if you have a frequency counter, the 555 timer IC can be configured to give you a frequency reading that corresponds to the inductance of the coil connected to it.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Why not go with the 4.5 mh inductor. Then you could play with the crossover a little
by changing the 10uf cap to 12uf and parallel the woffer with a 50 ohm 10w resistor
if you realy had to.
Old 16th December 2011, 01:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You'll love it. I did my Advent with the B&C/Pyle. Just get the larger coil and unwind it til it sounds the way you like it.
Old 16th December 2011, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Parts express has lots of other 4.0mh inductors:
255-280, 255-440, 266-842, 266-922, 255-058 ...
If your xover schematic includes the DCR for the inductor, you can choose the one that is closest, but it won't make much difference here, so just picking the one that fits your budget is fine. The wire gauge does not need to be 18. All of the ones I listed could be considered an upgrade to the one that is out of stock.

Hide this!Advertise here!