8" or 10" bass speaker for sealedbox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've come up with these 3 possible drivers for a active subwoofer. The amplifier module will boost the 30hz region with a couple of dB. I want a sealed box of about 50 - 70 l and a F3 of 40hz max. Driver is 10" max.

1/ Seas W26FX001 in a 52l box, f3 40hz
http://www.seas.no/excel_line/excel/E0026.pdf

2/ Peerless 850146 in a 50,5l box, f3 43 hz
http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/data/850146.htm

3/ ScanSpeak 25W/8565-01 in a 69l box, f3 39hz
http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/25w_8565-01d.htm

Any more suggestions?

Hi Ralph,

I am planning in the near future to put 3x Peerless HDS 164 (850439) woofers in a sealed 50L box and equalise them to 30 Hz to support my VR1’s. Each speaker will be driven by is own 60W IC amp.

To me the HDS 164 appears an optimum between price and performance and these allow me to build a box with a rather small front.

Cheers ;)

4/ JL Audio 10W6: 38.9 liter, 39.3 Hz -3 dB. 300W RMS. The efficiency isn't very high (84.3 Hz) but it's a very good unit (yes, I know it was actually built for car audio)

I know 2 people who use this driver in their home cinema setup, one uses it in a sealed box (35 liter), the other one in a 42.7 litres reflex box. Both sound very good; the sealed version sounds maybe a little too "strak" (don't know the english word for that)

Grtz, Joris

Ralf,

10” are always pain to find good. I would personally disregard Seas with its idiotic metal cone and Peerless with its "Sandwich" diaphragm. Of course there is a lot of more then the materials of the diaphragms but it the only fact of those come materials put me off.

The ScanSpeak 25W is good a driver but it has some issees.

It has 88 sensitivity… You did not tell me how many you are wiling to stick into your enclosure. (I do not understand in the liter but only in the cube feet). If you stick 4 or 8 of them then you a good enough sensitivity for good enough electronics but then you should select and mach they very demandingly. It has very good diaphragm, good low excursion … but it has a too soft suspension not to mention that the suspension is an unfortunate rubber (now the hell else they were able to rich 20Hz of resonance frequency). It is unfortunately available only as 8 Ohm version. I do not know where you are planning to cut the frequency off but I feel that it might work fairly high.

Generally, if you manage to drive them with a correct electronics, they sound pretty good but they still have that “hi-tech” signature of a rubber suspension driver. They render bass very precisely with a certain exactness but without “letting it go”. Your know this wonderful harmonic bloom and ambianic noise that imbeds the LF… the ScanSpeak 25W dose it without love, kindness and the necessary nobility. It just do not have the valuable musical resonances: the damn rubber surrounding sucks all life out of the cone….

However, I sincerely feel that among the 10-inchers that you suggested it is the best driver. You might look at older the paper/cloth 10” Tanoys, Vitavoxes, Beayma, Fanes Sudios, JBLs and many others but you will not be even remotely in the Fs around 20.

As I told you the 10” are always pain…

Rgs,
The Cat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.