bookshelf recommendations (proven design, budget 1-2k)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am thinking about building my second pair of speakers. I listened to the Dali Helicon 300Mk2 and was pretty impressed. Would be looking at something along those lines. My room is 20sqm (220sqft). Sound wise, I am looking for a speaker that brings violins, cymbals and voices to life (classic, jazz, rock - but overall clarity and precision over punch). I can not accommodate floorstanders so would be looking at a bigger bookshelf speaker. This is mainly for medium volume music in an apartment building so no need to make the floor shake or to imitate tanks and gunshots...

I am intrigued by the idea of building my own set instead of just buying the dalis for several reasons:
* Design - would like to do something less shiny then the dalis (black or mate walnut?)
* Ability to put some more robust grills over the drivers (my toddler can't help poking the membranes of my current set and it is not doing them any good ;))
* Just for the fun of building them on my own.
* Maybe (but not necessarily) saving a couple of dollars.

I am not experienced enough to come up with my own design so would like to stick with something that is proven to work. Especially given that I will not be able to audition them until it is too late. I am ok with assembling cross-overs and enclosures but would require good instructions. If there is a kit out there with pre-cut enclosure parts, that would be ok too.

So far, have been closing in on these but am not really convinced yet:
Statements_Monitor_2 (frightening cheap - do they play in the same league?)
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories (too small?)

Looking forward to your suggestions and hints!

Thanks,
Jakob

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'll search for those. As far as the amp is concerned, I'd get a new one. Probably a bel canto c5i or a peachtree nova. Something integrated with a dac. Probably not very powerful (both are rated at 80W I think)...

Best,
Jakob

Last edited:
Hi Jakob,
Do you like a 3-Way or a 2-Way. I understand (post) you mean bookshelf with no subs from your words. If you think you go very analytic the 3-Way will represent better phases for your concerts and voice better. You have nice set-ups (amps) so you deserve good quality speakers Harberth style.

Troels has experience designing kits and you can also choose the loudspeaker you think will give you the best sound, read the mid driver that is going to reproduce your "violins, cymbals and voices to life (classic, jazz, rock - but overall clarity and precision over punch)". Now, on a 3-Way that's the mid driver, materials (if you like paper, pp or metal cone), overall. On a 2-Way it's the mid-bass, ...same, quality, all. Here is a nice kit to make you think if you can procure the parts/drivers in your area (no flag), and the crossover is also available to order as a kit. (The size is just perfect for me, I have Mordaunt-Short's MS5.30).:cool:
Studio 101 Monitorcopyright 2009 ©
Also you can read a lot here and get enlightened.
DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

Perhaps you should consider my two-way Jordan with a ribbon mini-monitor DIY design. It combines a Jordan JX92S driver with an Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeter. Excellent reviews, award winning performance, etc. There are extensive threads on my Jordan designs on diyaudio.com so you can read about the design and such. I also evolved it into a slim MLTL tower which provides more bass and a slimmer foot print vs. the mini-monitor. The mini-monitor needs a 7 to 10 liters cabinet volume so Parts Express 7 liter cabinets can be used. All parts are still available and should run in the $600-$700 range for a pair (less cabinets).

Speaker Designs - JX92SG2siDesignPak - eSnips

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/74508-jim-griffins-jx92s-designs.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/81634-jordan-ribbon-mltl.html

Jim

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the great feedback, articles and recommendations everyone! Enjoying this project already without even having gotten my hands on anything but my keyboard so far :)

As far as the sub, yes, I am considering getting one if the speaker turns out to be lacking (I'd probably just buy one though - little REL maybe...) but would prefer a speaker that sounds round and full enough for my requirements without the additional box.

I was thinking/hoping to find a good 3-way that would work without a sub but am open to going a different route. Only restriction, as mentioned earlier, is that I do not have the space to put up a tower or stand. The speakers will have to sit on top of my media console (knee-high, nothing on top so they can be high from there).

Just to throw in another little detail, they'll have to sit pretty close to the wall (~20cm to back, ~30cm to side depending on actual size).

As far as designing my own, I think I am not ready for that. For this project, I'd prefer to learn while I build and think about things that are known to work rather then from my own mistakes.

Cheers, Jakob

Last edited:
Jakobd,

Three way means three drivers (or more) covering 3 different portions of the frequency band. Generally, the portions are low/mid/treble frequency regions and the drivers are usually called woofer/midrange/tweeter.

Your Dali Helicon 300Mk2 is a three way speaker but really with crossovers at 3400 and 13000 Hz the two upper frequency bands really divide the treble region of most speakers. Many people would call that speaker akin to a two way with the treble range split between two tweeters. Typically, three way speakers cross at say 300-400 Hz and 2500-3000 Hz but various implementations vary these crossover points around the frequency range.

My Jordan with a ribbon design mentioned earlier in this thread is a two-way with the crossover between the combined woofer/midrange driver at 3000 Hz to the ribbon tweeter. The majority of successful DIY designs in a bookshelf or stand mounted size will be two-way. Far fewer DIY bookshelf speakers are three way designs.

Jim

Last edited:
As far as small 2-way systems goes, Jim's design is currently pretty much top of the list. What do you think about these alternatives?
* Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
* Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 +
* Zaph|Audio - ZD5 - Scan Speak 15W8530K00 and Vifa XT25
Even though the latter two do not come with ribbons, they all appear to be similar in many regards so would be interested in which differences you would point out.

I am still interested in a design with a little more volume and bass extension. Just thinking about the speakers I had auditioned, the ones I liked (the forementioned dali helicon 300, kef r300, paradigm signature s2) had been bigger and instead of the 4'' woofers came with 6.5'' or even 7'' and I did not feel the need for a sub there.
On top of these: Studio 101 Monitorcopyright 2009 © are there any other recommendations for something along those lines (ideally with a ribbon tweeter)?

Thanks again,
Jakob

Last edited:
As far as small 2-way systems goes, Jim's design is currently pretty much top of the list. What do you think about these alternatives?
* Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
* Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 +
* Zaph|Audio - ZD5 - Scan Speak 15W8530K00 and Vifa XT25
Even though the latter two do not come with ribbons, they all appear to be similar in many regards so would be interested in which differences you would point out.

I am still interested in a design with a little more volume and bass extension. Just thinking about the speakers I had auditioned, the ones I liked (the forementioned dali helicon 300, kef r300, paradigm signature s2) had been bigger and instead of the 4'' woofers came with 6.5'' or even 7'' and I did not feel the need for a sub there.
On top of these: Studio 101 Monitorcopyright 2009 © are there any other recommendations for something along those lines (ideally with a ribbon tweeter)?

Thanks again,
Jakob
You like ribbons huh?
Here a nice SEAS+BG NEO 3-Way. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26798
Also I would look at Beyma TPL-150 (top menu Search).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.