AudioCaps Rule! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2003, 12:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AudioCaps Rule!

Today I replaced the Solen tweeter caps with AudioCaps in my Lynn Olson Ariels.

Good grief, what a startling difference! Astounding! Oo. Oo. Oo. It's so good.

I had expected the difference to be quite subtle. It ain't. I have a couple of recordings (of a large orchestra and a big brass band) that were difficult to listen to before. I likened their sound to a big blob with porcupine quills sticking out it. I had attributed the "spikes" to early reflections, or maybe the source material was not recorded well. Nope. With the new caps, those recordings are clear and pleasant as you please.

I'm driving the speakers with a Rotel RA-02. My boss has Dunlavy SC-IV/A's at home driven by about $60,000 worth of tube preamps and amps (no exageration). Today he was listening to my system, shaking his head, and muttering to himself, "I can't believe it. I can't believe it."

I asked him what he couldn't believe. He said he thought he was going to get rid of his tubes. Now this is a guy who only a couple of weeks ago was religiously devoted to tube equipment. He has audiophiles over to his house to savor tube equipment like connoisseurs sip wine. Then he listens to a new, state of the art $500 transistor amp and his whole world falls apart.

He'd listened to it before. The AudioCaps made all the difference.
Old 13th September 2003, 04:05 AM   #2
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

First of all, I never heard solen's caps but I often hear you guys complaining about how they sound. Whats wrong and why? then what else to buy and which price? thank you
Old 13th September 2003, 04:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I replaced the caps in my crossovers with Solen poly caps and had great results. I cascaded 3 Solens together to hit my value.

I suspect that they are not in favor because they are now rather ordinary and quite affordable.

There is so many things you can do to a loudspeaker to improve the sound. Replacing the caps is just a small part of it. I imagine some people would also notice large increases SQ if they did some of these other things as well.

Just my thoughts.

KevinLee
Old 13th September 2003, 04:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think your right but what about those solen caps that were sounding harsh if placed on the ''other side''. Or it might be the speaker that react to different kind of caps?
Old 13th September 2003, 05:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinLee
Hello,

I replaced the caps in my crossovers with Solen poly caps and had great results. I cascaded 3 Solens together to hit my value.

I suspect that they are not in favor because they are now rather ordinary and quite affordable.

There is so many things you can do to a loudspeaker to improve the sound. Replacing the caps is just a small part of it. I imagine some people would also notice large increases SQ if they did some of these other things as well.

Just my thoughts.

KevinLee
The reason they are not in favor with me is because my system sounds much, much better with the AudioCaps. Of course, they cost 10 times as much, so they ought to perform better. I just didn't expect such a dramatic improvement.
Old 16th September 2003, 10:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default Solen

Dave

Yes it a big difference, I replaced my Solen caps many years ago with TRT and MIT-Reliable caps what a major sonic difference. These are Polypropylene foil caps vs. metalized polypropylene caps. Also, there is a big difference in the metalized film that difference companies use. Solen uses a thinner film than the high end cap manufacture use which account for some of the performance difference.
Old 16th September 2003, 10:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

the question is : do we have to avoid solen caps or it still good enough for everyday DIY?
Old 16th September 2003, 10:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's a pick off the crossover in 60,000 Mark Dynaudio Evidence Temptation. As you see they use Solens exclusively. So it's good not only for everyday DIY.

But personally, I stay away from Solens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.jpg (77.7 KB, 794 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 16th September 2003, 10:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default Solen

For me, I stay away SOLEN caps. I have a shoe box of them that I'll never use because I know how they perform. Having said that, if I am trying to get a large value cap say 100uf of film I will use 60-70uf of the high voltage SOLENs and parallel them with MIT-Reliable, TRT or Cresendo caps to make the large value. This works well. However use only the 500v Solens.
Old 16th September 2003, 11:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I asked him what he couldn't believe. He said he thought he was going to get rid of his tubes. Now this is a guy who only a couple of weeks ago was religiously devoted to tube equipment. He has audiophiles over to his house to savor tube equipment like connoisseurs sip wine. Then he listens to a new, state of the art $500 transistor amp and his whole world falls apart.
Excuse me for saying so but your boss is an absolute moron for jumping to such a conclusion.

60K of tube equipment beaten by a pair of boutique caps?
Makes me wonder whether he's got his ears in his wallet too.

No offense to you at all, I readily believe those caps are better than the Solens.

The Rotels are fine as far as transsssistors go but they're definetely thin sounding, almost as clinical and anemic as the Jeff Rs.

Mind you. in all fairness the last Rotel I listened to dates from 1998, things may have improved since.

Cheers,

P.S. The Solens are dull sounding caps to my ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!