The Infrasonics of Dr. Vladimir Gavreau

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah, yes. That is rather like a phenomenen of the flame in the tall tube known as the singing flame. The flame drives a huge resonance in the tube and evidently can sound thunderous!

Plasma tweeters are a subject of current research. Audiophiles may contemplate the appearance of future loudspeakers here:
Loudest Plasma Speaker - Class-E Audio Modulated Tesla Coil - YouTube

Back to infrasonics, I suspect we all have an unconscious awareness of low frequencies. We may associate them with caves, mountain tops and precipices, which may explain my extreme discomfort when perched above this particular castle in the South of France which guarded the old Spanish border and ticks all three boxes. This is Peyrepertuse, which means pierced peak, a Cathar stronghold and one time home to Edward, the Black Prince and Duke of Aquitane.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A memorable place. :cool:

I can't resist, I've been there, but I was a neighbour. Impressive place indeed, as many other Cathares strongholds. Special mention for Queribus (that can be seen from Peyrepertuse) for it's incredible central pillar.

To speak of old stones and sound, the most amazing thing I have heard was close to Mycenae, the Treasury of Atreus. More pics here.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a bullet shaped dome from the bronze age. If staying in the center, just sing or shout, your voice will come back with a huge gain, a guess maybe 20dB, it's enormous.
Great fun, great emotional power, but definitively not a good listening room.

Attachments

• KING'S CHAMBER.gif
    KING'S CHAMBER.gif
    114.3 KB · Views: 87
  • The Pantheon XXV loudspeaker.jpg
    The Pantheon XXV loudspeaker.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1Question-Man1.jpg
    1Question-Man1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 92
I thought this was extremely funny, and made me think of our infrasound weapons thread...;)

In popstar David Essex's new biography, he describes an early gig at a nightclub which had the owner's prized pet fish in a tank at the side of the stage.

By the end of the Gig, all the fish were floating dead on the surface, and the owner was very upset. :eek:

What killed them? The bass, of course. I don't know if Essex was invited to play again. :D

Funny you mentioned fish!!! I saw a new, really cool documentary on polphins and whales. Killer whales and other dolphin relatives slap/whoosh thier tails towards schools of fish to generate a low frequency type slap that knocks out fish (and kills some) so they can eat 'em up! Scientists also recently figured out that when dolphin jump and do flips, body slaps and tail slaps, it is often used to signal to other dolphins where schools of fish are. The slaps travel farther in water, and they need it even more when they are traveling in large groups (pods?)... I also heard that sperm whales emit such a loud click that if a swimmer was in front of one in the water it could cause damage to the heart and innards due to volume. Something like 160Db in water? Obviously sound travels faster and farther in water. Whales have a waveguide filled with oil in thier heads to amplify clicks. When I saw the CGI they used to show the physiology of the whale head, I thought of a horn speaker immediately. Anybody want to make an underwater horn speaker so we can listen to tunes while scooba diving? :D :D Pic of sperm whale I found... Scientist can determine the length of the whale just by hearing the clicks and the time differentiation between first click, and reverberated clicks! Awesome...

system7 wrote :

... I'll wander into an interesting observation about stonehenge and similar stone circles. Apparently, if you played a musical instrument in it, due to Helmholz resonance, the sound in nearby stone circles of similar construction is indeed amplified over what you would hear in the open. But perhaps just a ghostly sort of echo...

Apparently some serious people from Salford university did a good research on the subject, here the main article, here some records, and other interesting links on the pages.

PS : The next stage [...] was to create an 'audio 3D rendition' of the recorded sounds, using 64 audio channels and bespoke loudspeakers from Salford university based on wave field synthesis...Cool system.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.