Altec Lansing VOTT Clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool. You can probably find plans online. if not, just let me know. I have heard all three versions, the 15", 12" and 10". I don't remember the 12" well. I do remember that "bigger is better." ;) It was the original 15" version I lusted for.

It had been my intention to write an “upgrade” article back then; I took pictures and had made some notes on what I did. It involved several minor cabinet modifications (and moving the horn slightly, easy), new drivers (I used a 2226 and BMS4550) and a new crossover.
If there is interest in such a thing, I will find the old hard drive this stuff is on.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

I for one would love to try it while waiting patiently for the diy synergy kit..
dennis

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you want to go to the trouble of building from scratch, you might want to invest in a better horn than the 811 or 511. Have a look at this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/166312-waveguides-horns.html

It's a long thread, but basically he's building very nice horns for a good price. You can contact him about them. A friend of mine on Maui bought 2 pair (mid and high) and is very happy with them. I have not heard them yet, but I've seen the measurements and those look very good indeed.

As for a crossover, there are steps to doing that right. You will have to measure, measure, measure. I've tired other people's crossovers on my rig and they just don't work right. I had to design my own.

around 1970 or so I bought a new pair of A7-500's. The drivers were Altec, (416-8a's + 511B's) but the cabinets were locally made in Montreal. I ended up selling the empty cabinets and built 20 cu ft infinite baffles and bi-amped the speakers. When I got married the speakers were moved to the dark basement. The diy amplifiers and crossovers still work, but now its time to build a pair of A7 cabinets properly. My son wants me to put the not yet built speakers in my will for him. I will be reading this thread with great intrest and hopefully I will find the other threads as well.

I agree they are not the best sounding, but there is something special about them...

I started out in this insane hobby with a pair of 806-As, 811-B horns, and Altec 416A midbass drivers in a Valencia box clone, and that may be the quickest way into the Altec world to see if you like it there.

The Valencia is a simple bass reflex box, and you can either use circular ports ala the later Valencias, or cut the horn opening wide as in the original Valencia, porting the woofer with the space on either side of the HF horns.

Plans are available at audioheritage.org.

The Altec drivers sound great and don't seem to need much augmentation at high volumes, but for home use at lower levels I felt the need to supplement the HF with an Aurum Cantus ribbon, and two sealed 12" DVC subs mounted in a back-to-back isobaric configuration for deeper bass.

Even the big A7 boxes and stock drivers weren't designed to go much below 50 - 70Hz, but they sound and feel like they go lower, with very little thump or boxiness. People speak of "airiness" in the higher frequencies, but using classic Altec drivers, whether in an A7 box or a Valencia box, I feel that word can be applied to classic Altec bass as well.

What's the difference between 806 , 802 and 902 drivers? I hear the 806 don't go as high.
Are they interchangable?
Is there a preference for 16 or 8 ohms?
There is a company remaking the Altec drivers called Great Plains Audio.
I am really starting to like the idea of the Valencia.

What's the difference between 806 , 802 and 902 drivers? I hear the 806 don't go as high.
Are they interchangable?
Is there a preference for 16 or 8 ohms?
There is a company remaking the Altec drivers called Great Plains Audio.
I am really starting to like the idea of the Valencia.

802 has more flux density than the 806, it is 2.2 dB more sensitive, and probably a bit smoother.

The 802, 806 and 900 series all use 1.75” voice coils, 604-8K and 900 series are ceramic magnets, the earlier are Alnico.

The all- aluminum diaphragms go higher than the Symbiotik Kapton plastic surround, though the Symbiotic won’t crack as soon with a low crossover point.

Unfortunately, with 50 year old drivers hard to say what diaphragm they are loaded with presently unless you did it yourself or open the driver up to check, or test them.

If you are interested in more information about these antiques, check out:
Altec Lansing Professional Audio - PDF Library

Art

That's a good link, it has a bunch of PDF plans. Cool.

Altec Lansing Professional Audio - Vintage Speakers

I guess a good plan of attack would be to select a woofer and design a box from there.
It may be a little sac-religious, I don't know, to just scale a Onken or 210A to a modern efficient woofer.

For the Onken I would try and get a woofer to fit in to the old chart.

For the 210A I could look for a woofer the uses a big enclosure, then scale the 210A to fit.

Lot's of things to think about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.